Wrestlers plow through Wilber, look to success for rest of season

Freshman Justin White locks up a cradle against Bryan Odvody. White is 8-3 on the season.

Nicole Buntgen, Co-Editor

Starting their season strong, the David City High School Scouts wrestling team defeated the Wilber-Clatonia Wolverines 58-16 at their Dual in Wilber on Dec. 10.

Going into the Dual, David City was preseason ranked number two in Class C while Wilber-Clatonia was preseason ranked number three.

Senior Wyatt Phillips led the night in match points. Phillips won by major decision 8-0 over returning state qualifier Jorge Hernandez at 126 pounds.

Out of 14 wrestlers, eight won by pin. These wrestlers included freshman Justin White (138), sophomores Melvin Hernandez (132) and Seth Styskal (106), junior Ryan Worm (182), and seniors Lester Palencia (113), Dustin Papa (152), Anthony Tebbe (170), and Morgen Valentine (160). Other wins included senior Mack Fuller (220) defeating returning state qualifier Austin Haufle over decision 5-1 and fellow senior Trent Daro (120) defeating two-time state medalist and returning state champion Jackson Bates 4-2.

“Our guys came out and were physical and aggressive against Wilber. We always have close matches with them and they have several tough individuals,” Head Coach Tahner Thiem said. “We won just about every other swing match that night. I think our guys took the momentum from York and applied it to the Dual that night.”

The wrestlers didn’t stop there. The team then traveled to the Stanton Invitational on Dec. 12 to add another win to their record. David City won with 267 points followed by Battle Creek with 234. Champions included Daro, Fuller, Hernandez, Papa, Phillips, Styskal, Valentine, and Worm.

“In my five years at David City, I don’t remember ever having a tournament where we lost under ten matches all day long, which is really good,” Thiem said. “Our guys know the importance of bonus points. They’re hungry and want to beat our own state pin record this year.”

The wrestling team will be hosting the David City Quad at 6 p.m. in the DCHS Activities Center on Dec. 17. Teams that will be competing include Columbus Lakeview, Schuyler, and Central City.

“We improved from the week before, but there’s always room for improvement,” Papa said. “I’m looking forward to wrestling in front of a home crowd at the David City Quad.”

Thiem said Central City is another traditionally tough program, as they have four wrestlers rated in the top six while David City will have nine.

“Any time we wrestle a home tournament, I always tell our guys to enjoy wrestling in their own gym and on their own mats in front of people who wouldn’t normally be able to make it to a tournament,” Thiem said. “I think our seniors will be excited as this will be one of their last times they will be able to wrestle in front of a home crowd.”