Senior Sabra Moore signs letter of intent to Concordia trap, skeet team

Concordia%E2%80%99s+competitive+trap+and+skeet+head+coach+Dr.+Joel+W.+Helmer%2C+Sabra%E2%80%99s+mother%2C+Angie+Moore%2C+senior+Sabra+Moore%2C+and+Sabra%E2%80%99s+father%2C+John+Moore.+

Kasey Stallbaum

Concordia’s competitive trap and skeet head coach Dr. Joel W. Helmer, Sabra’s mother, Angie Moore, senior Sabra Moore, and Sabra’s father, John Moore.

Kasey Stallbaum

For most people, senior year is full of decision-making and preparing for the future. In senior Sabra Moore’s case, she is aiming high and shooting for the stars as she plans to carry her trap shooting career onto college.

Sabra signed her letter of intent with Concordia on Dec. 1. at David City High School. The Concordia competitive trap and skeet team has been interested in Sabra since her Junior after meeting head trap and skeet coach Dr. Joel W. Helmer.

“I met the Concordia coach last year at a trap shooting meet and we began to get to know each other,” Sabra said. “When he offered me a scholarship, I knew I had to take it. Concordia just seemed like the perfect fit for me.”

A small campus size and a reasonable student to teacher ratio are a few things that stood out most to Sabra about Concordia. Sabra is also thrilled she has the opportunity to pursue her education and continue to do what she loves.

“Sabra is a wonderful girl, a great shooter, and has strong academic scores,” Helmer said. “She will make a great teammate to the team and I am looking forward to seeing her improve.”

Sabra has been trap shooting since the sixth grade after following in the footsteps of her older brother, Max Moore. She was first coached by Norm Bruner, who she said taught her the basics. Now coached by her dad, John Moore, Sabra learns mostly through experience and by watching her fellow shooters.

Courses and practices vary in time for Sabra, depending on the day. She is always looking for the next great score and is always preparing herself for different shoots, she said.

Practices with the Concordia team will begin next August for Sabra. A perk of signing with Concordia is that practices will take place in the same shooting range she has trained at throughout her high school career, she said.

“I hope to make my mark at Concordia,” Sabra said. “It’s such a great opportunity, and I can’t wait to start practices and get to know my teammates.”