FFA members prepared for annual Feed the Farmer

Kelsey P.

FFA members sophomore Payton McMillin and freshman Hannah Moravec attend their first Feed the Farmer event at Frontier Co-op in Bellwood. The David City FFA, along with other Chapters throughout Nebraska, take part in the event every year.

Kelsey P.

The David City FFA Chapter attended various cooperatives and provided farmers with a treat while they harvested on Oct. 31. This interaction is known as Feed the Farmer, a tradition that has lasted almost a decade at David City High School.

Last year, FFA members attended Frontier Cooperatives locations in Bellwood, Brainard, Garrison, Yanka in David City, and Central Valley Ag in Rising City. Eleven members took part and spent a maximum of two hours supplying the farmers.

Feed the Farmer typically feeds 40 farmers from local areas. Many farmers’ reactions make all the hassle, the planning, and the meetings worth it, FFA Advisor Jenny Kocian said.

“A lot of the farmers try to pay the members,” Kocian said. “They are really grateful and surprised. It really brightens their day.”

For seventh grader FFA member Shelby Hein, Feed the Farmer is about thanking our farmers for providing us with resources and the long hours they put in not being with their families. FFA members are giving farmers food so they feel they are harvesting for a reason and know that they are appreciated.

It makes me feel good, knowing that I have helped make a difference in someone’s life,Hein said.

The David City FFA Chapter plans on attending the District Leadership Skills Events contest at East Butler on Dec. 7. The Chapter will also have meetings on Nov. 20 and Dec. 18.