Tough course prepares cross country runners for future meets

Hernandez, seniors Wesley Unger and Palencia and freshman Noah Styskal take off at the start of the Scotus invite. Unger came in first for the boys team for the first time this year.

Becca Meusch

The cross country team competed against numerous solid teams at the Scotus invite on Sept. 17, with the girls placing ahead of one other team and the boys finishing tenth out of twelve teams.

Head coach Bob Unger said the district course will be a lot easier and smoother than what was ran at Scotus. Although the course was difficult, senior Alesha Rethwisch came in first for the David City girls with a time of 24:21 and placed 37th out of 98 runners.

“I don’t run to beat others, I run to beat myself. At the Scotus meet I just lacked motivation. Compared to last year though, my times have gotten a lot better,” Rethwisch said. “From here on out, the meets are a little bit easier. I am hoping this year I can beat the school record again and just keep improving my time.”

Junior Natalie Stewart came in next for the girls placing 72nd with a time of 27:52 followed by senior Morgan Ruth placing 83rd with a time of 31:04 and sophomore Jessica Knopp placing 96th with a time of 34:32.

Both the boys and girls cross country teams have had a great deal of success this year with many runners placing in the top ten at a few meets. This included Rethwisch who placed first at the Schuyler invite on Sept. 3.

Rethwisch said she never expected to win but it was a great way to start the season. This was the first individual female cross country victory ever in David City High School history, Bob Unger said.   

For the boys, senior Wesley Unger led the group by placing 32nd out of 129 with a time of 19:21. Wesley barely pulled ahead of sophomore Melvin Hernandez who placed 33nd with a time of 19:22.

Aside from this meet, Hernandez has been leading the boys team so far this season. He placed sixth at the first meet at Schuyler and fifth at East Butler.

“The Scotus meet did not go as planned. I just wasn’t ready to run that day and all the hills there were new to me. However, I’ve enjoyed being part of the team as I am a new member,” Hernandez said.

Coming in third for the boys was senior Lester Palencia who placed 51st with a time of 20:36. Freshmen Noah Styskal placed 64th in a time of 21:15 followed by Carter Ossian finishing 81st in 22:22. Fellow freshmen Justin Escamilla placed 93rd with a time of 23:04 and Miles Svoboda was 102nd in a time of 23:32.

“Some of them might have had a season best. Naturally, I hope that we can go faster. Meets with less hills will serve us well,” Bob said. “This meet was among one of the top three roughest meets, besides State of course.”

Rethwisch said the Scouts plan on attending the UNK meet this year to help prepare both teams for future meets and a successful season.