DCHS welcomes new faces to the teaching staff

Kasey Stallbaum

Cole Carrher

Cole Carraher

Teaching English, Math, Science, and Physical Education all in a days work could be a handful, but not for alternate education teacher Cole Carraher.

“Alternative Education Core Classes and dealing with all subjects at once was new to me, but I’m getting use to it,” Carraher said. “I just try to find different ways to motivate the students for different activities and really focus on them comprehending new material.”

Carraher knew he wanted to join the teaching field after working as a lifeguard throughout high school. He enjoyed doing swim lessons and watching his students improve and knowing he had an impact on them.

Besides helping students in the classroom, Carraher will also be helping the Scout teams as he will be an assistant coach to both football and girls basketball.

Shane Keeling

Shane Keeling

If there is one thing that Shane Keeling lacks, it is not experience. Keeling has taught at five different schools involving both elementary and seventh through twelfth grade classes. Now starting his position as Director of Special Services at David City High School, he is planning on bringing Positive Behavior Supports, 21st Century Learning Skills, and Marzano’s Strategies into the classroom.

Keeling is also helping with the elementary flag football team and hopes to eventually start a youth soccer program within the school.

“Positively affecting the students and staff, is my main goal and to be a part of a strong leadership team,” Keeling said.

Outside of school Keeling likes to play basketball, soccer, and golf. He also enjoys working on home projects.

Samantha Kohl

Samantha Kohl

After studying at Wayne State College and teaching at Elkhorn Valley View Middle School for a year and a half, Samantha Kohl has found her place joining the David City High School English Department. Kohl will be teaching 10th and 12th grade English this 2015-2016 school year.

“I wanted to belong to the community I teach in. Since I already live close by, it was a great opportunity,” Kohl said.

Along with teaching, Kohl has also taken on the task of being the journalism adviser. She plans to bring collaborative learning into her classroom as she has already started “Motivation Monday’s” to help her students get ready for the week and help students with character building and social skills.

Outside of the classroom, Kohl enjoys running, hunting, and gardening. She is also working on her Master’s degree.

Samuel Shlatmen

Samuel Schlautman

Straight out of college is math teacher Samuel Schlautman. Schlautman studied at Doane College and is looking forward to teaching Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Algebra 3 at David City High School.

“I heard a lot of good things from past teachers about the community, school, and administration and knew it would be a good fit for me,” Schlautman said.

Using IXL and Kahoot are a few computer websites Schlautman plans on using throughout the school year to help students practice their math skills. He also plans on helping student improve on the field and court by becoming an assistant coach to both football and boys basketball.

Schlautman enjoys being active outside of school too. He likes to go on runs and play basketball when he gets the chance.