New sports season ‘kicks-off’ at Booster Club Burger Bash

Freshman Will Danielson rushes up the side of the field and tries to avoid the defense. Going in for the tackle is freshman Luis Salsazar (middle) and senior Dustin Papa (right).

Becca Meusch

The start of the new sports season provides many opportunities for new changes to be made. The Booster Club hosted their annual Burger Bash at the Auditorium on Aug. 21 to help kick off the new year.

Since Homecoming is so early, the Burger Bash was combined with the annual Homecoming Bonfire Kick-Off. Homecoming is set for Friday, Aug. 28 after the first home football game vs. Douglas County West.

The yearly volleyball scrimmage started off the night, followed by the football scrimmage and Burger Bash where visitors could enjoy a hamburger, chips, cookie, and drink for five dollars. Sports coaches then introduced their players and gave an overview of how they predict their seasons will go.

This year the football team has many new faces that they added in their pack. In the first couple of weeks the team struggled with low numbers.

“The number of guys that we have out is much lower than it was last year,” sophomore Riley Kirby said. “You can’t really scrimmage in practice because we need more guys.”

The team started with only 28 guys out, but after some recruiting the Scouts are now back on track and have 40 guys on the team, junior football captain Ryan Worm said. They started practice on Aug. 10.

“Practices have been going really well so far,” Kirby said. “I am impressed with everyone working hard and making everyone better.”

Senior Logan Detmer said the team has a strong relationship this year and has a lot going for them.

“As a family we are pretty close. We have gone to some camps up in South Dakota and have been bonding up there,” Detmer said.

Besides a few small setbacks, Detmer said he is looking forward to a good season and is hoping they can push themselves to make it to play-offs.

“I think that our offense will be really good this year. Same with defense; we have some experienced linemen on varsity. Everything is just superb,” Kirby said. “If we come together as a team and work on our game, we will be solid and we could be a big threat.”

The volleyball team is also setting themselves up for a rewarding season. The volleyball team has eight returning seniors, one junior, six sophomores, and six freshmen. The girls started practice Aug. 17, as their first game is set for Sept. 3.

“Everything is looking really good right now,” senior Abby Eickmeier said. “Our teamwork is phenomenal; we are very together.  We always help and push each other.”

Eickmeier said team strengths this year include communicating, staying positive, and teamwork. She thinks they can compete with anyone if they set their mind to it.

“This year we are in it for each other. We are not just playing for ourselves and doing what we want to do,” Eickmeier said. “We are playing for everyone on the court and staying together as one whole team.”

The volleyball team has high expectations, with their first goals to triumph the David City Invitational and Conference and go on from there, Eickmeier said.

Cross country is also preparing for their road to success this season. The team has five returning seniors, one junior, two sophomores, and three freshmen. Their first practice was Aug. 17 and they plan to have their first meet Sept. 3.

“They have been pretty intense practices,” senior Lester Palencia said. “It’s been really good; we all try to stay in a group when we run to push each other. We have done about three miles per day.”

The team plans to send more to State than last year as many runners have been putting in lots of extra effort, senior Wesley Unger said.

“Honestly, I think I’ve seen more effort from this team than I’ve seen from any other year of cross country, so I think we’re doing just fine,” Unger said. “I’m getting to start the season with a little of a head start due to summer conditioning.”

Palencia said the team could do a lot of good things this year because they have lots of experienced runners returning. They just have to keep away from injuries and keep up their determination, Unger added.

The softball team has also put in their share of hard work. They started practice on Aug.17 and had their first game Aug. 20 at the Twin River Triangular. The Lady Scouts are now 1-1 this season.

Junior Kaylyn Dubbs said the game was tough because the pitcher was fast and it was hard to get a hit off her, resulting in their first loss. However, the girls beat Schuyler in a blowout, 15-0, to give them their first win.

“Our team’s strength this year is hitting and everyone gets along really well. I think we will be pretty successful this year,” Dubbs said. “There will be a few teams that will be harder than others but overall we should do pretty good.”

Dubbs also said the softball team needs to work more on defense and catching line drives. Overall, the Lady Scouts are encouraging each other and working hard for a successful season.

“Working together as a team we want to have the same batting average or better than last year’s because we did pretty good,” Dubbs said. “We just need to keep practicing hard and everything will come together.”