Early Homecoming festivities launch Scout school year

Senior Homecoming candidates Maya Peirce and Dustin Papa desperately struggle to find the box placed somewhere on the mat.

Nicole Buntgen, Co-Editor

David City High School started the Homecoming week celebration on Aug. 21 and will continue the week of the 24th ending on the 28th at Friday’s football game against Douglas County West followed by the dance.

The cheerleaders and dancers set the mood with their annual fashion show, showcasing the dos and don’ts of the Hollywood-themed dress-up days for Homecoming week.

Dress up days began Mon. with Celebrity Day, then followed with Late Night at the Oscars, ‘Merica Day, Glitz and Glam, and Scout Day.

“This year we really tried to use the theme to incorporate the dress up days, which can be a little trying at times,” Cheer Coach Tiffany Heins said. “Although doing the theme is important, it’s also important to look for days that students will want to dress up as, so we can get more of the student body to get involved.”

Coaches for various fall sports talked about their seasons and expressed their goals and expectations for their athletes.

In the spirit of the Hollywood theme, Homecoming candidates were awarded Oscar statues based on their personalities.

Homecoming candidates are as follows: seniors Ruth Behrens, Nicole Buntgen, Jesse Grotelueschen, Macy Grotelueschen, Sabra Moore, Maya Peirce, Dustin Papa, Wyatt Phillips, Waleed Rehman, Anthony Tebbe, Wesley Unger, and Morgen Valentine.

Candidates were randomly paired and played a blindfolded musical chairs spin-off game in which there was a constantly moving box.

“I thought it was fun,” Valentine said. “For my method, I just found it before everybody else by covering more ground. I just started rolling.”

Cheerleaders and dancers then had the opportunity to pump up the crowd by performing each of their routines.

STAY-U and Dance Sponsor Amy Sander had past students who attended June Jam take the floor and show the student body how to do a dance to “I Gotta Feeling” by The Black Eyed Peas. Students were then told they will be performing this dance at Friday’s downtown pep rally as a flash mob.

Later that night, the annual Burger Bash combined with the Homecoming bonfire to bring students together to celebrate fall sports and Homecoming shenanigans.

“I liked it because there was no bugs and it was warm,” freshman Olivia Bell said. “I think it worked out better because everyone was already there and nobody had to leave to go to two separate things.”

Friday students will run a 1:30 p.m. schedule followed by Access. The student body will then be dismissed at 2 p.m. to begin the downtown pep rally at 2:15 p.m.

The football game vs. Douglas County West will begin at 7 p.m.

“I think Homecoming is going to go really well,” Jesse said. “Even though it’s really early in the year, I feel like the student body is just as excited for it.”