Scouts get back on the right “track”, prepare for Districts

Kaylee P.

Soaring over her final hurdle in the 300 hurdles, sophomore Becca M. works her way to the finish line at the SNC Conference Invite on May 2 in David City. Becca achieved her personal best time of 53.49 seconds, moving her up to seventh place on the school’s all-time depth chart.

Nicole B., Co-Editor

After weeks of faster and more intense practices, the David City High School girls and boys track teams have been preparing for a chance to qualify for State at the District meet on May 14.

Starting the season off on a positive note, freshman Olivia C. broke the school record for triple jump at the Centennial Invite on April 21 with a leap of 35 feet, breaking the old school record of 34.8 feet set in 2010 by DCHS alumna Kacy Sutton. Currently, Olivia is the girls’ leading point scorer.

“Olivia has had a pretty good season; I expect her to have a good day at Districts,” head girls track coach Brian Hermelbracht said. “She is a very humble and low-key person; she doesn’t get too worked up over anything.”

Hermelbracht also said he expects his throwers to do well, as he feels they are all at the same level as the top throwers in the district. These throwers include juniors Ruth B., Macy G., and Hannah V. Junior Jesse G. also stands a good shot in the 800, Hermelbracht added.

Up until this point, Hermelbracht said he feels the girls have improved in all areas, with throwers showing the most development.

Although the Scouts are sitting in a tough district, Hermelbracht said if everyone competes the way they are capable of, then he thinks Districts will be a successful day.

“The whole team has been working hard throughout the season, including days like these that are close to major competition. We are buckling down on the small things, like technique and form, and making those little changes that will help us improve during these last meets,” Olivia said. “At this point you really see how much people have improved, and it’s honestly pretty spectacular.”

In addition to the potential success for the girls team, head boys track coach Todd Carmichael foresees a great deal of athletes doing well at Districts. These athletes include the 4×8 relay team of sophomore Ross K., junior Wesley U., and seniors Tony M. and Konner M. Individually, Carmichael also sees junior Logan D. excelling in long jump, Wesley in the 400 and 800, Tony in the triple jump, and Konner in the 1600.

Preparation for Districts has had little change on practices. Carmichael said that practices are shorter halfway throughout the season, but are also more rapid and extreme. This is due to athletes backing off on weightlifting because it takes three weeks for an exercise to take full effect, he said.

“I have been doing vigorous routines with my dad. I’m doing ice baths every day after practice to keep up with my shin splints,” Wesley said. “I’m pretty nervous about the competition, especially with Scotus and O’Neill because they are probably going to be the hardest competitors in my best two events. Our 4×8 is just behind O’Neill, the third best team in Class B. It motives my teammates and me to improve our times, which I know we can do.”

Both Carmichael and Hermelbracht agree that athletes started increasing their efforts after feeling the pressure at Conference on May 2.

“They emphasized that meet as being very important,” Carmichael said. “If you can win Conference, you’re a really good team.”

Although the boys track team didn’t qualify any athletes for State last year, Carmichael sees his team as more competitive than they were previously, and he said he feels they have a chance of qualifying up to six events.

“The way we have competed the last two weeks has been encouraging. Just a lot of PRs, improving every week, and the kids’ attitude toward competition,” Carmichael said. “Instead of being afraid of it, they’re excited about it.”