Scout wrestlers contribute to recovery of injured wrestler Doyle Trout

On+April+29%2C+junior+Morgen+V.%2C+freshman+Jake+S.%2C+head+wrestling+coach+Tahner+Thiem%2C+and+freshman+Matt+E.+drove+to+Waco%2C+Neb.+to+present+Centennial+wrestler+Doyle+Trout+with+the+donation+they+acquired+through+the+wrestling+team%27s+clay+shoot+fundraiser.+

Courtesy Photo

On April 29, junior Morgen V., freshman Jake S., head wrestling coach Tahner Thiem, and freshman Matt E. drove to Waco, Neb. to present Centennial wrestler Doyle Trout with the donation they acquired through the wrestling team's clay shoot fundraiser.

Becca M.

Coming together to support a wrestler in need, the David City High School wrestling team recently split the proceeds from their annual clay shoot fundraiser with Centennial wrestler Doyle Trout after Trout suffered significant injuries in a one-vehicle accident on April 5 near Waco, NE.

The Scouts held their annual sporting clay shoot fundraiser on April 26. Head coach Tahner Thiem said items that were donated for raffle and the entry fee raised funds for the wrestling program. Half of the money raised was donated to Trout, Thiem said.

Thiem said the idea to donate came from parents, members of the wrestling community, and other concerned wrestlers. After splitting the proceeds, the wrestling team raised $1,200 at the clay shoot to give to Trout to put towards medical expenses.

“I just want to thank everyone for everything that has been done to help me through the tough times,” Trout said.

On April 29, Thiem drove freshmen Jake S. and Matt E. and junior Morgen V. to Trout’s home in Waco to deliver the donation. Trout had recently returned home from  Bryan West and Madonna Hospital after weeks spent recovering from the injuries he sustained in the crash.

“He was more than happy just to see company more than anything,” Morgen said. “He has been in the hospital for a while so he was happy to see people.”

According to the Journal Star, Trout broke his right leg in the accident, while his left leg was badly damaged and had to be amputated. Along with the Scouts, many other wrestling fans across the nation have contributed to help alleviate Trout’s medical costs.

“Doyle was very appreciative. He has always been a class act. We compete against him, and we’ve seen him at camps and tournaments for a long time,” Thiem said. “He has always been a neat kid.”

When delivering the donation, Thiem, Morgen, Jake, and Matt took a picture with Trout. Thiem said the picture was posted on Facebook and has received over 1,500 likes.

Morgen said it is good for people to see the David City wrestling team help Trout out because it might inspire others to help out and contribute to Trout’s fund also.

Following the accident, the hashtag #DoyleStrong exploded on social media sites such as Twitter, and many wrestling fans across the state and nation have offered their support to Trout.

“I have been getting so much support. I’ve met so many people through wrestling it’s crazy,” Trout said. “I’ve been getting out-of-state support as well as in-state support from other wrestling clubs like Valentine and Columbus Scotus.”

Trout will periodically return to Lincoln throughout the summer for rehabilitation so he can continue to recover. According to the Journal Star, he will be fitted for a prosthesis when he can bare weight on his right leg again.

Prior to the accident, Trout had committed to wrestle at the University of Wyoming. Despite the accident, the school will still be honoring his scholarship, the Journal Star reported.

“I think this is only a setback for Doyle,” Thiem said. “I don’t think this is something that will end his wrestling career permanently.”