Landscape, horticulture classes increase school’s curb appeal

Agriculture teacher Jenny Kocian helps sophomore Brandy B. trim and clean out the ornamental grass. The dead grass needs to be cut down every spring in order to grow back.

Kasey S.

If weeds need pulled or mulch needs laid, agriculture teacher Jenny Kocian’s horticulture and landscaping classes can get the job done. For the past three weeks, Kocian has put her students to work refreshing David City Public School’s landscaping.

Kocian started the project six years ago after she saw the need for some touch ups around the school and has continued it since.

Currently, Kocian is having her students clean out and replace mulch and trim bushes. Depending on the weather, students tend the landscape at least once a week to see what task need to be accomplished.

“I like that we get to go outside of the classroom and get to make the landscape look appealing to people who come to our school,” sophomore Allie I. said.

Before students can work on the actual landscaping, they must complete a series of miniature lessons on pruning, mulch application, tree stacking, and various other tasks the class may be taking on. Students also learn different plant identifications.

Having the students assist with the landscape provides hands-on learning opportunities that fulfill curriculum objectives and student standards. Additionally, the project can be beneficial for the students’ futures.

“There are a lot of kids planning on pursuing careers in plant science that benefit from both the indoor learning and outdoor work,” Kocian said. “I hope they take that experience and things they learned to their own lives and to their own landscape someday.”

Landscape and horticulture are both semester classes that work on landscaping in both the fall and spring.