Scouts lose three starters, look to repeat success at State

Practicing his golf swing on the driving range, senior Ben D. works to improve his skills in an effort to make it back to state. Ben placed 13th his freshman and sophomore years and fell short last year placing 16th.

Jonah S.

As the Scout golf team starts the season, it is evident they will have challenges to overcome with low participant numbers, little experience, and a difficult district topping the list.

Returning to the golf team are two members of last year’s State Runner-up team, junior Tylar S. and senior Ben. D. Tylar and Ben fell short with placing individually last year, however, Ben placed 13th his freshman and sophomore years.

“Ben and Tylar have tremendous ability and hopefully can use that in a positive way and lead others to get better,” head coach Tom VanWinkle said.

Returning with varsity experience is junior Wyatt P. Other golfers competing for the last three varsity spots include: senior Cody N., juniors Brittani L., and Dustin P., sophomores  Joe L., Tristin P., and Daniel W., and freshmen Brooke B., Will H., and Kayli L.

“We hope to be competitive in every meet. If we can find a four and five golfer that can shoot 95 or better, that will help us greatly,” VanWinkle said. “Dustin and Wyatt have an experience edge on others and have the ability to step up and contribute if they work hard and improve from last year.”

If Tylar and Ben make it back to State, they look to improve their resumes. Both have already been working hard and pushing each other on the golf course even when they don’t have practice. Whenever it is nice out, they are on the golf course competing against each other and improving their game.

“This year, I really want to win State as an individual,” Tylar said. “I have no other intentions than that this year; I’m hungry for it, and I will work my butt off.”

The Scouts’ district holds a great deal of challenges this year. The teams are challenging and the course itself is difficult. Districts will be held at Hidden Valley Golf Club on May 18.

“Our district will be very competitive,” Ben said. “It consists of Thayer Central, who easily won Class D the last two years, and Neumann, who we beat by one at State last year, but returns everyone on their varsity team.”

The Scouts start their season on April 8 at the DC West Invite.

“You will definitely see and hear about the Scouts this year guaranteed,” Tylar said. “Come out and support us, and you might be surprised.”