Speech team sweeps Districts, prepares for run at repeat championship

Photo courtesy of Lori Meusch
Senior Jake K. is ecstatic to accept the first place trophy at Districts for the speech team. Jake qualified in humorous prose and in duet for the state tournament which will be held at UNK on March 26.

Becca M.

Beating runner-up Lakeview by 98 points and dominating Districts at Pierce on Monday, March 16, the David City High School speech team qualified 13 events for the state meet.

District champions included freshman Will H. in humorous and freshman Brooke B., freshman Jackson H., sophomore Nathan K., and junior Sabra M. in oral interpretation of drama. Other champions included sophomore Becca M. in serious prose, junior Waleed R. in extemporaneous, junior Nicole B. in poetry, and senior Allegra H. in persuasive.

Also competing at State will be seniors Jake K. and Jane M. in duet and Jake in humorous. Juniors attending State include Trisha H. in persuasive and informative and also Sabra in informative. Becca is also participating at State in poetry.

“Districts went over pretty well for the team. Almost everyone made it to State with the exception of a few that I feel like should have made it,” Sabra said. “It was just the way the cookie crumbles. The 13 events that we are taking are exceptional. They have practiced their tails off and are ready to compete in the Championship.”

The speech team is now preparing for State at the University of Nebraska at Kearney on Thursday, March 26. Since the Scouts moved from class C1 to class B, the state schedule is different this year. The first round begins at 8 a.m. on Thursday, the second round starts at 11 a.m., and the finals begin at 2 p.m which will be followed by awards at around 4:30 p.m.

Moving classes also brings change in the competition. Omaha Skutt has won class B State for the past three years and has qualified 16 events for State this year. Head coach Jarod Ockander recognizes the challenge of facing the reigning class B champions.

“Skutt has a well-coached team with tremendous talent, so they will be a formidable challenge,” Ockander said. “Additional teams with a chance to compete for the title include York and Gering.”

Overall, Ockander said he feels confident that his team will be prepared.

“We’ve worked with great diligence all year, so we’ll continue to practice with a sense of purpose and put our best effort at Kearney,” Ockander said.

As Ockander continues coaching and encouraging speech members, the drive to succeed is permeating throughout the team.

“I feel like this year we are more ready than any other year. This is our year. This is our time to shine,” Sabra said. “We’re ready to put up another banner and ready to succeed. We just have to give it our all, do what we do, and we will win.”