UNL hosts event for first generation college students

Becca M.

Sophomore Joe L. fills out an application to attend the First Generation Symposium college visit at UNL on April 2. Applications for the free event are due by March 26.

Becca M.

More than 50 percent of students who attend college are the first in their family to do so, according to the University of Nebraska Lincoln’s website. That is why this year, students at David City High School have the opportunity to attend the First Generation Symposium on April 2.

This event sponsored by UNL will provide students resources for going to college, give them the opportunity to meet others new to the college process, and allow them to further explore the UNL campus

“It’s important for me to go on this visit because I know that UNL is a good school and I can learn a lot,” freshman Josey T. said. “I can have a better understanding of college, and it will encourage me to go there. I will have more advantages than my parents ever got.”

The symposium is offered to any first generation college students in the state. The event starts at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, and goes until 2:30 p.m. One highlight of the event is keynote speaker Carlos Ojeda Jr.

Ojeda is a motivational speaker who works to inspire students to attend college. He is a youth development expert with over 15 years of experience inspiring students in over 40 states, according to the UNL website.

“I would hope that students would see that college is a possibility and that there are resources to assist them in making that a reality,” guidance counselor Brenda Siffring said.

The registration deadline is March 26, and the event is free. Anyone interested in attending should talk to Mrs. Siffring.

“My mom didn’t attend college because her senior year her dad passed away, and she didn’t think that she could go further,” sophomore Joe L. said. “I am doing everything I can to make her happy, and me going to college would make her extremely happy. This college visit is a start for my future and my mom’s happiness.”