School library adds e-books for students

Sophomore+Ashlee+S.+explores+the+new+e-books+website.+Media+and+Technology+Director+Ed+Sieck+invited+middle+and+high+school+students+to+assist+in+choosing+current%2C+popular+titles+for+the+e-book+library.+

Maya P.

Sophomore Ashlee S. explores the new e-books website. Media and Technology Director Ed Sieck invited middle and high school students to assist in choosing current, popular titles for the e-book library.

Kaylee P.

E-books are making an appearance in David City High School’s library starting on Friday, March 6. The e-books were purchased from a grant from Northeast Library Systems (NELS), and the school contributed $250 to help get the library started.

The e-books will be available for any devices that allow internet access to the school’s website. Devices can include phones, tablets, iPads, and computers. Students can also download the e-book so they can read it offline. For reference, students will receive an email with a step-by-step guide and videos to assist with the new e-book process.

Students will be able to check out the e-books through the school website under student resources. Once there, students will be able to click on high school e-books. They will be lead to  another tab to DCHS online library site. Students will then be prompted to log in with their district username and password. From there, students will be able to check out e-books.

E-books can provide comprehension assistance for students. Unknown words can be defined quickly on e-books with a built-in dictionary allowing immediate access to knowledge. E-books come with an array of tools included. Students can  easily transport e-books.

The idea for e-books was first considered two years ago. Media and Technology Director Ed Sieck said the company OverDrive will be the source for buying the e-books.

“I decided to implement e-books primarily because it’s a step toward the future.  I’ve no doubt in our students’ lifetime, print books will be a thing of the past,” Sieck said. “Starting the e-book process at an early age will help our students feel more comfortable with this inevitable event.”

Sieck welcomes students to check out e-books at their discretion.