DCHS’ Achievements at District Music Contest

DCHS+Choir+and+Band+Practice+in+Columbus+High+Schools+gym.+

Ava

DCHS’ Choir and Band Practice in Columbus High School’s gym.

Ava Schlotfeld, Staff Writer

David City High School’s Choir performed at the District Music Contest on Saturday, April 24th, annually held in Columbus, Nebraska. This year it was a bit different, masks being required, no large ensembles, and it was held in Columbus High School rather than Central Community College. 

Students taking Joseph Brumm’s choir class had been anxious, yet excited, to perform because, due to COVID, they hadn’t been given a chance to perform in front of a judge to receive feedback as University of Nebraska at Kearney’s high school Honor Choir was canceled. Many felt confident and excited about the Men’s and Women’s Ensemble performances as they had been working on each song for months. 

“It’s very scary, but once you’re actually there you gain control and are able to succeed. Really, the only issue is just the anxiety before the performance,” said Angel Carias, a part of the Men’s Ensemble. 

“I’m excited [about] the performance because we’ve been working on this piece for a while now,” said Autumn Lindsley, a part of the Women’s Ensemble.

Masks were required for everyone attending the District Music Contest, the only students allowed to perform without masks were the soloists. Many agreed that singing with a mask on makes it difficult to gain air support and the masks also muffle the sound coming out.

“We are required to sing with our mask on for district music as well as stand six feet apart,” said Drew Whitney, a part of a Women’s Duet and the Women’s Ensemble.

“We are given time to practice without a mask on. It feels great to sing without a mask on because it doesn’t stop your breathing,” said Hailie Fuller, a Soprano Soloist. Fuller also states that she had to get accustomed to singing without a mask on because they had been singing with a mask on all year.

Mr. Brumm says that he’s always nervous for his students because he wants them to do well. He knows that they work hard and doesn’t want them to feel as though they failed if they get a score they don’t expect. 

When someone has worked really hard and then doesn’t perform their best, it is a scary thing,” said Brumm, “Usually hard work means they will perform well, but I’m always nervous about the one exception to that rule. I don’t think it will happen to anyone, but I am always scared that it could.”

He was excited for them to perform because he wanted them to be able to show off their hard work from this year. 

DCHS had seven vocal performances, ending up with five of the seven (Angel Carias’ solo, Hailie Fuller’s solo, Autumn Lindsley’s solo, Cassidy Wieser’s solo, and the Women’s Ensemble) getting superior ratings, or a one out of five, one being the highest score. They also received two excellent ratings (Autumn Lindsley and Drew Whitney’s duet and the Men’s Ensemble), or a two out of five rating. 

“Their scores do not matter if they can walk out of the room and say they are proud of how they prepared and how they performed,” said Brumm.