Thirteenth Straight Conference Win

Speech Team Looks towards Districts, State

Mr. Ockander; Used with Permission

The 2021 Southern Nebraska Conference Speech Champion Team

Braxton Small, Staff Writer

Maya Couch and Clayton Harris collect the team’s Conference Championship Plaque. (Mr. Ockander. Used with permission.)

The David City speech team received their 13th consecutive SNC win on February 27th. The Scouts took home six first- place medals and six more second- place medals. Maya Couch, a senior, as well as a fierce competitor in Humorous Prose and Duet Acting, shared her conference experience.

“The bus ride was long but I had a fun time… I have won Conference Speech for the past two years so I had very high expectations. I got what I wanted in Humourous and Duet Acting. I’m very content with what I got in that meet– but I can do better.”

However, conference means that the end of the speech season is soon approaching. District speech takes place at David City High School on March 8th. The top three places in each event at districts will then move on to state to vie for championship. Unable to compete in district speech and therefore state last year due to Covid, the seniors are anxious to end their high school speech career as title-holders.

“I am looking forward to districts but I am a little nervous about it. The last time I went to state was my freshman year. I’m going to turn my nervous energy into confidence. I’m really excited to compete at districts this Monday and hopefully state,” Couch said.

Clayton Harris placed first in Serious Prose this year at conference. With his partner, Maya Couch, he also took home another first-place medal at SNC. Along with her, he shared his desire to close the speech season on a high note.

“I am also very excited. I won state two years ago with my Serious speech, but last year I was not able to defend my title. This year I have high expectations for myself and my fellow ‘speech-ees.’’ I hope to go out with three state titles: my serious I performed two years ago and my current duet and serious.” 

State Speech closes the season on March 18th at Kearney High School, where hopefully the David City speech team will come out on top as they demonstrate the hard work they– and their coaches– put in this season.