David City Sophomores to Represent Butler County

2020-2021 Region V Systems Youth Action Board

YAB 2020-21 Members. Front Row: (L-R): Paige Oltmans, Emma DeShon, Sonja Dingman, and Ava Schlotfeld. Middle Row (L-R): Kira Jones, Lena Eschiti, Jessica Martinez, Kinley Casey, Caitlyn Mitchell, and Kaydence Hansen. Back Row (L-R): Jasmine Snyder, Piper Fernau, Allana Heath, Beth Poisel, and Tasha Pederson.

Ava Schlotfeld, Staff Writer

High school students make up the Region V Systems Youth Action Board (YAB) from the following counties in Nebraska; Polk, Butler, Saunders, York, Seward, Lancaster, Otoe, Fillmore, Saline, Thayer, Jefferson, Gage, Johnson, Nemaha, Pawnee, and Richardson. All students and the supervisors meet once every month from August to May. They also sponsor June Jam during the summer for schools around Region V of Nebraska. All applicants go through an interview process to receive the opportunity to serve on the board.

The 2020-21 Youth Action Board is compiled of sixteen high school students and three supervisors. Two students have been selected to represent Butler County: Ava Schlotfeld and Kaydense Hansen, sophomores.

YAB’s main focus is to enhance youth leadership regionally and in each member’s community. During a normal year, the members are to carry out two events annually. One is Red/White Tailgate, which is a tailgate at the University of Nebraska spring game held at Cook Pavilion, allowing 600 youth across the region to attend including a half-time drug-free pledge with the youth, the Husker team, and the coaching staff. The other is June Jam which is a two and a half-day conference that is attended by 250 or more youth and is planned and led by youth on the Youth Action Board. Due to COVID-19, there will be no Red/White Tailgate. June Jam is still being planned by YAB, but will only be a one day conference rather than two and a half-day conference.

YAB is managed by the Region V Systems Regional Prevention Coordination (RPC) which prevents the exploitation of all drugs and alcohol for all ages by establishing and supporting local community organizations that provide a statewide prevention system. They provide and recognize local resources that offer coaching, technical assistance, and coordination to the coalitions to deliver evidence-based regional programs and practices. They work collaboratively with a mixture of state and local agencies, law enforcement, civic groups, universities and colleges, the media, youth groups, and parents to achieve the National Outcome Measures (NOMs).

They provide help to families needing to connect with others that have youth in their lives that struggle with suicide ideations or attempts with the Parents For Hope Flyer. They also offer Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) with parent or guardian permission with the Permission Form.

Region V Systems and the Youth Action Board have plenty of resources for both parents and youth that need the help of any kind. Whether they need mental support, any drug abuse, etc, they have resources or know of resources.

Students to represent: Saunders County, Esmie Williams; York County, Piper Fernau; Lancaster County, Allana Heath (also representing Saline County), Emma DeShon, Sonja Dingman; Saline County, Tasha Pederson, Allana Heath, Jessica Martinez, Kira Jones, and Lena Eschiti; Thayer county, Beth Poisel, Paige Oltmans, Caitlyn Mitchell, and Kinley Casey; Jefferson County, Jasmine Snyder. Polk, Otoe, Fillmore, Gage, Johnson, Nemaha, Pawnee, and Richardson are not represented this year.