Staff Editorial: Access is a privilege, should be seen as one

Video by Allegra H.

View the video above to see how staff and students feel about this year's new Access period.

Adding Access period to the schedule was an adjustment everyone had to make this year, and it seems as if David City High School has finally accepted Access as a routine. However, after experiencing Access for a semester, we’ve found that it’s not providing all the benefits we originally expected. While we feel that Access is a great idea, we don’t believe it’s a great reality because it isn’t properly used.

Access was created to give students additional time during the day to utilize the school’s resources and complete homework. It also allows time for assemblies and school-affiliated meetings, leaving instructional time throughout the day uninterrupted.

The Latest Scoop staff feels that Access is a wonderful addition to our school schedule, but it isn’t always advantageous for every student. Although many students take advantage of this opportunity, others do not and serve as a distraction to those who use their time wisely. Ironically enough, many of the students who aren’t using Access period seem to be the ones who need it the most. Those who are not utilizing the time appear to be the ones most often found on the Homework Academy list.

Within the first two weeks of this semester, there were over 120 Homework Academies. This shows that even after a semester of this additional period, Access isn’t a complete success because not everyone is properly using it.

Now, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all way to ensure everyone uses their time wisely. No matter what you do, you can’t force students to do their homework. However, we find students abusing the privilege of Access period frustrating because others who consistently miss Access to participate in meetings and school events would love extra time to complete their schoolwork.

This time of year, basketball players, for example, often miss Access to represent DCHS, and then after coming home late from playing an exhausting game, are forced to stay up into the wee hours of the night to complete homework. The same goes for anyone who participates in school activities.

Our staff is another example. We’ve never had Access to complete homework because that period is used as our actual class time. While we are aware our situation is unique, it adds to our frustration that we see students not appreciating the time they have in Access to complete homework.

What we need to recognize is that even with the addition of Access, we aren’t  benefiting our entire student body. While it provides students extra time to finish assignments when they have Access, it doesn’t help them at all when they are forced to miss it. And unfortunately, those are days they need it the most.

Consequently, students who consistently have Access period to work on assignments need to appreciate the time they are given. Not every school, or even every student has the opportunity to complete their homework during Access, so take advantage of it when you can.

Ultimately, a student editorial cannot change how you decide to use Access period. However, our hope is that at least this makes you consider how you use your Access time. Simply recognize that all of the school’s resources and educational assets are at your disposal. All you have to do is use them.