Senior continues wrestling career, marks new path

Senior Michael V. signs his letter of intent to wrestle at Doane College. Also pictured is head DCHS wrestling coach Tahner Thiem, Doane wrestling coach Tyson Springer, and Michael’s parents.

Becca M.

After recently accomplishing 100 career wins, senior Michael V. continues to extend his successful wrestling career. On Jan. 30 Michael signed to wrestle at Doane College next year.

Michael said Doane felt like the right fit. He previously met the wrestling team and coach, and he said he seemed to fit right in.

“They all seemed pretty accepting of me, and there wasn’t a single person there that wasn’t willing to help me improve,” Michael said. “I like the fact that it’s a young team and that I’ll be with the majority of them for more than one year.”

Michael has been wrestling since he was in seventh grade, and on top of achieving over 100 career wins in high school and holding the school record for the most escapes, he was a state qualifier his sophomore year and a state finalist his junior year.

“He has wrestled for a while, so he will bring some talent,” Tyson Springer, wrestling coach at Doane, said. “David City has a good wrestling program. They were first last year, so he knows what it takes to get to the top and how to get there.”

Michael said throughout high school, his coaches have always pushed him to be the best wrestler possible.

“Michael is committed to training year-round in one particular sport. Even in high school he spent a lot of time in the fall, summer, and spring training all over just so he could really succeed in wrestling,” head coach Tahner Thiem said. “[The coaches] are really happy that Michael decided to go on and wrestle in college.”

Michael said he plans to major in math education at Doane, which was a determining factor in his college decision.

“The majority of the reason that I chose Doane was for their education program. The fact that they had wrestling was just an awesome benefactor for me,” Michael said. “I really liked the math education program that they had and the fact that they have such a strong teacher program.”

Michael said he is ready to face higher-level competition and to be even more dedicated to wrestling at the college level. He said he hopes to become a four-time NCAA qualifier to top off his wrestling career.