Scout wrestlers take eighth county title

Allie Daro

The Scout wrestling team won the Butler County Triangular for the eighth year in a row on Thurs., Jan. 10. The Scouts defeated the East Butler Tigers 63-17 and triumphed over the Aquinas Monarchs with a score of 33-31. The Monarchs beat the Tigers with a score of 69-12.

This triangular was the first opportunity for the David City Wrestling Team to test out some new additions to their dual atmosphere.

“I think [improving the atmosphere] was my big goal for this year, and every year I try to do one new thing to improve our program, one big thing to make the program better,” Head Coach Tahner Thiem stated. “It was just about perfect. I think our guys wrestled really, really well. Our guys really fed off of that dual energy and the energy of the crowd.

The first dual for the Scouts was against the Tigers, starting at the 106-lb. weight class. Freshman Zach Bongers scored right away for the Scouts, defeating his opponent East Butler freshman Brayden Brecka 9-4.

Scout freshman Ethan Underwood had the next match at the 113-lb. weight class, where he was pinned by Tiger sophomore Michael Polivka. David City sophomore Ethan Zegers wrestled at 120 lbs. and lost by technical fall to East Butler freshman Josh Spatz.

Scout sophomore Clayton Harris added to the team score with a pin against Tiger freshman Kyle Heise at the 126-lb. weight class. David City junior Jacson Valentine also won by fall at 132 lbs. against his opponent, East Butler senior Cody Heise. Scout junior Zack Barlean was the next to pin his opponent, Tiger freshman Trevin Brecka at 138 lbs.

David City senior Justin White was the next Scout wrestler to receive the pin chain after defeating East Butler senior Breckin Ratkovec at the 145-lb. weight class. The Tigers had the 152- and 160-lb. weight classes open, giving David City senior Noah Styskal and Scout sophomore Dylan Vodicka wins. At 170 lbs., Scout junior Clayton Denker was pinned by East Butler senior Colten Ratkovec.

For the rest of the weight classes, East Butler had an open roster. Scout wrestlers that took unopposed wins included junior Spencer Allen at 182 lbs., sophomore James Escamilla at 195 lbs., junior Wayne Moore at 220 lbs., and sophomore Jake Ingwersen at 285 lbs.

“As a team, we were really after each other, very vocal, to get after it,” Styskal said. “I think our team leadership and how well we work together showed. We were really supportive on the bench, and we wrestled to the level that we can.”

In between duals for the Scouts, the East Butler Tigers faced the Aquinas Monarchs, starting at the 113-lb. weight class. Aquinas freshman Hunter Stutzman defeated Polivka by a 10-5 decision. At 120 lbs., Monarch sophomore Noah Scott pinned Spatz. Aquinas sophomore Ben Shonka also pinned his opponent, K. Heise, at 126 lbs. In the 132-lb. match, Monarch freshman Christopher Nickolite pinned C. Heise.

Aquinas senior Creighton Redler pinned T. Brecka at 138 lbs. Monarch senior Logan Helgoth was pinned by B. Ratkovec at the 145-lb. weight class. Open weights at 152 and 160 lbs. for the Tigers gave Aquinas sophomores Nolan Eller and Coy Meysenburg wins. At 170 lbs., Monarch junior Ben Kment was pinned by C. Ratkovec.

With the 182-, 195-, 220-, and 285-lb. weight classes open for the Tigers, Aquinas wrestlers that received wins included senior Joseph Reimers, junior Nolan Schultz, senior Tad Naiberk, and junior Own Schramm. To finish the dual, Monarch freshman Hunter Vandenberg pinned B. Brecka. The Monarchs defeated the Tigers 69-12.

After the East Butler-Aquinas dual, there was also a plank contest sponsored by Butler Believes in Youth and Community, or BBYC. A coach from each team faced a student from their school. Students could put their names in a drawing to enter, and the winner received a gift certificate.

For the Scouts’ dual against Aquinas, the 120-lb. match was first. Zegers was pinned by Scott. Harris had the next match, defeating Shanka by an 8-1 decision at 126 lbs. Valentine had the next win for the Scouts at 132 lbs., triumphing over Aquinas sophomore Cameron Shrad with a 12-7 decision.

Barlean had another win by decision, 8-6, over Redler at the 138-lb. weight class. In the 145-lb. match, White pinned Helgoth. Styskal also defeated his opponent, Eller, by fall at 152 lbs. Vodicka also had a pin at 160 lbs., defeating Meysenburg.

Denker was defeated by a 3-6 decision against Kment in the 170-lb. match. Allen faced Reimers and was defeated by fall at 182 lbs. Escamilla lost by a 0-4 decision to Schultz at 195 lbs. In the 220-lb. match, Moore lost by major decision, 1-9, to Naiberk.

At 285 lbs., Ingwersen won by fall against Schramm. Bongers lost by an 0-2 decision against Monarch freshman Ethan Schmid at 106 lbs. In the 113-lb. match, Underwood was pinned by Vandenberg.

“As a team, we wrestled really well. We won matches that we considered swing matches, and we need those,” Moore said. “We won the Butler County Triangular for the eighth year in a row, even though we were projected by NEwrestle to lose.”

Since the Butler County Triangular, the Scouts competed at the Cross County Invite on Sat., Jan. 12, where they received first as a team. The next meet for the Scouts will be at the David City Invite on Fri., Jan. 18, beginning at 10:00 a.m.

“Practices have been really productive so that we can keep improving,” Vodicka stated. “Everybody gives it their all, every day. Everybody’s work ethic and mindsets are where they need to be, and we have good senior leaders showing what to do through the examples they set. We’re just going to keep getting better.”

• Scout wrestlers take eighth county title

Penny Wars 2019

02.12.19

DCHS Bloodmobile 2019

02.11.19

Speaking to the walls

02.08.19

02.07.19

02.05.19

02.01.19

01.25.19