Scout wrestlers “learn to wrestle under pressure”

Allie Daro

The Scout Wrestling team defeated Schuyler and was beaten by Lakeview at the Schuyler Quadrangular on Thurs., Dec. 13. The Scouts triumphed over the Schuyler Warriors 30-27, and the Lakeview Vikings beat the Scouts 27-33.

In the first dual, the Scouts faced the Schuyler Warriors while the Lakeview Vikings wrestled against the Central City Bison, and the matches started at the 113 lb. weight class. David City freshman Ethan Underwood defeated Schuyler senior John Gasper by decision with a score of 11-6.

Scout sophomore Ethan Zegers had the next match at the 120 lb. weight class. Zegers was pinned by Schuyler senior Denilson Martinez. At 126 lbs., David City sophomore Clayton Harris lost by decision, 6-3, to Schuyler senior Kenneth Castro. David City junior Jacson Valentine pinned Schuyler freshman Felix Cruz at 132 lbs.

At 138 lbs., Scout junior Zack Barlean lost by decision, 5-3, to Schuyler senior Miguel Roman. David City senior Justin White pinned Schuyler senior Miguel Carrasco at 145 lbs. Scout senior Noah Styskal also pinned his opponent, Schuyler senior Olvin Lopez, at the 152 lb. weight class.

At the 160 lb. weight class, David City sophomore Dylan Vodicka defeated Schuyler senior Caden Yrkoski by decision with a score of 8-7. At 170 lbs., Scout junior Clayton Denker lost by a 5-2 decision to Schuyler junior Michael Hernandez.

David City junior Spencer Allen lost by decision, 9-5, to Schuyler junior William Marxsen at 182 lbs. James Escamilla, a 195 lb. sophomore for David City, was pinned by Schuyler senior Mario Encarnacion. Wayne Moore, a David City junior, was defeated by a 7-2 decision against Schuyler senior Jesus Maganda at the 220 lb. weight class.

At 285 lbs., Scout sophomore Jake Ingwersen defeated Schuyler sophomore Alejandro Sanabria by a 1-0 decision. Going into the last match at 106 lbs., the Scouts and the Warriors were tied 27-27. David City freshman Zach Bongers won by a 13-7 decision against Schuyler freshman Geovany Chacon to finish the dual. The Scouts defeated the Warriors 30-27.

For the second dual, the Scouts and the Vikings wrestled off while the Warriors and Bison dueled. The second dual began at the 120 lb. weight class. Zegers was pinned by Lakeview junior Lucien Engel. Harris was defeated by an 8-1 decision Lakeview senior Gage Perry. Valentine lost, 8-7, against Lakeview sophomore Logan Jaixen. In an 11-6 decision, Barlean was defeated by Lakeview junior Joel Lemburg.

White was the first to score team points for the Scouts with a 5-2 decision against Lakeview senior Boston Barcel. Styskal faced Lakeview senior Lucas Thatcher and won when Thatcher was disqualified for biting Styskal. Vodicka was defeated by a 7-5 decision against Lakeview senior Zeth Gerkensmeyer. Also by decision, Denker lost an 8-1 match to Lakeview senior Brook Behlen. Allen was pinned by Lakeview senior Jacob Frenzen.

Escamilla pinned his opponent, Lakeview senior Kaylob Kobza, in the next match. Moore won next, defeating Lakeview junior Bradyn Kucera 7-4 in overtime. The following match, Ingwersen pinned Lakeview senior Cody Thompson.

Bongers had the next win for the Scouts, defeating Lakeview freshmen Hayden Johnston in a 4-2 decision. Again, the Scouts were tied with their opponent 27-27 going into the final match. Underwood was pinned by Lakeview sophomore Kevin Dominguez, and the Scouts were defeated 27-33.

The Scouts have since wrestled at Valentine on Fri., Dec. 14 and Sat., Dec. 15, where the team received fourth place. The Scouts wrestled on Thurs., Dec. 20 at the Syracuse Triangular, where they defeated Wilber-Clatonia 65-12 and triumphed over Syracuse with a score of 60-24. The next meet for the Scouts is the High Plains Invite at Central Community College on Fri., Jan. 4 and Sat., Jan. 5. The meet will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Fri., Jan. 5.