Scouts split against Panthers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scouts split against Panthers

Senior Macy Svoboda goes up for a layup against two Fillmore Central defenders. This is Svoboda’s third year as a Varsity starter.

Madisen Paulson

Madisen Paulson

Madisen Paulson

The Scout Basketball teams faced Fillmore Central on Sat., Dec. 8. The Girls Basketball team was defeated by the Panthers with a score of 37-67, and the Boys Basketball team triumphed over Fillmore 54-42.

In the first quarter, the Scouts kept the game fairly close. Halfway through the first quarter, the Scouts were down 6-7. However, the Panthers continued to increase their lead, and the Scouts were down 23-37 at the end of the half.

“I’d say we played pretty well,” sophomore Lauren Vandenberg said. “We played together, we played as a team, we had good communication, and everyone put forth effort.”

The third quarter was a close quarter between the teams, with the Scouts scoring nine points and the Panthers scoring ten. The Panthers extended their lead in the fourth quarter, and the Scouts couldn’t make up the difference. The Scouts were defeated 67-37.

“We are just going to continue to practice hard,” Head Girls Coach Nathan Wall stated. “Make our strengths unstoppable and make our weaknesses an area of strength. Just keep building everyday brick by brick.”

The Boys Basketball team started their game very evenly against the Panthers. Both teams had 13 points on the scoreboard at the end of the first quarter.

“[The Fillmore Central game was] good,” senior Nick Ruth said. “We stayed on top most of the game, shot well, and had a good mentality.”

The Scouts took the lead early in the second quarter, and they continued to extend their lead, putting them up 32-21 at halftime. At halftime, the Platinum Dance Team performed for the first time in the winter sports season.

“It was a good game. I thought everyone played pretty well,” senior Will Danielson said. “We worked the ball around, and got a lot of people in good positions to score.”

At the beginning of the second half, the Panthers went on a 9-0 run, but the Scouts battled back. They increased the scoring gap and ended the third quarter with a 43-33 lead. The Scouts maintained their lead and finished the game with a 54-42 win.

“I thought our game against Fillmore Central was hard fought, and we did all the little things well enough to come out with the win,” Head Boys Coach Cole Carraher stated. “We had a couple starters (Will and Luis) that paced us with much-needed scoring throughout the game and seemed to always get us a bucket when we needed it the most.”

The Girls Basketball team was defeated 23-64 by the Clarkson-Leigh Patriots on Tues., Dec. 11. The Scouts swept the Schuyler Warriors on Fri., Dec. 14, with a final girls score of 41-36 and a final boys score of 54-52. They also split against Lakeview on Sat., Dec. 15. The Girls Basketball team lost 28-62, and the Boys Basketball team won 51-43.

The next games for the Scouts are on Thurs., Dec. 20, with the Junior Varsity Girls team beginning at 4:30 p.m. The Girls JV team will play two quarters, followed by two quarters of Boys JV, with Girls Varsity and Boys Varsity after. Both teams look forward to continuing to improve and play together throughout the season.

“The chemistry that we have on the team is amazing,” senior Eli Alvarado said. “We all know that each and everyone is there for each other and that, if something is going on, we have someone to go to. We have lots of potential and are willing to work very hard.”

Madisen Paulson, Staff Writer

Hey! I’m Madisen Paulson, and I am a senior here at DCHS. This is my third year being on the SCOOP staff. Along with SCOOP, I am also involved in Stay-U...

• Scouts split against Panthers

03.12.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

03.05.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

03.04.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

03.01.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

02.28.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

02.27.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

02.25.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

02.21.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

02.19.19

• Scouts split against Panthers

Scouts split against Panthers