Inspirational artist moves DCHS students

Brittney Palik

Eric Samuel Timm visited David City High School on Wednesday, November 7th, to share his message of hope and kindness.

Timm started with a quick painting. Halfway through his painting, he flipped the canvas, which then revealed a picture of Abraham Lincoln. He then asked American History teacher Mr. Ferg if he would like the painting, which he did. However, Ferg could only have the painting if he did a “Fortnite dance,” flossed, or dabbed. He chose to floss.

After telling a few stories from high school, one including a cow that sprayed “chocolate milk” all over the gym, he asked for two volunteers from the crowd. He asked sophomore Jake Ingwersen and senior Noah Styskal to each squeeze out an entire tube of toothpaste as fast as they could, and whoever got the most out the quickest would be the winner. The volunteers found that to be an easy task, but Timm then asked another thing of them: put all of the toothpaste back into the tube. They could not do it.

“Hurtful words are easy to say but hard to take back, like squeezing out the toothpaste,” Timm said.

Timm then told another story from high school, but this one had a stronger message behind it. He told the story of how he was mean to a girl who had less than he did.

“My biggest regret was making fun of someone less fortunate than I was. To that girl, I wasn’t remembered as the football player. I was remembered in her life as the person who used my words as weapons,” Timm said. “Kind words cost so little, but they pay so much. Use your words not as weapons, but as keys to unlock doors for others.”

Timm painted another painting. This painting said death, but when flipped over it said life. This was a reminder for the audience to speak words of life instead of words of death.

“Choose to speak words of life, not death, and be remembered as someone who brings value to others with their words,” Timm stated.

Timm then challenged DCHS students to speak words of life in three areas of life: in person, online, and to yourself.

“Don’t look in the mirror and say the same words that someone else called you. Don’t believe the lies that people say about you,” Timm added.

The assembly ended with a powerful poem that showed that we are all the same, and we are all going through something, and that kindness can make the world a better place.

“Timm’s messages really made me think about how I treat others and encouraged me to be nicer to those around me,” junior Daphne Navarro said.

• Inspirational artist moves DCHS students

12.17.18

Scouts split against Panthers

12.14.18

12.13.18

12.12.18

12.11.18

12.10.18

12.07.18

12.06.18

12.04.19