NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

Macy Svoboda

The David City High School’s National Honor Society is an elite group of students that come together every month to promote kindness and show excellence. NHS members at DCHS meet every first Wednesday of the month. During their monthly meetings, they discuss different random acts of kindness ideas as well as events they are planning to do. Every month NHS does a random act of kindness that costs no money to help out the school as well as the students and faculty.

It [Random acts of kindness] spreads positivity around the community and improves the reputation of National Honor Society,” Secretary Carter Ossian said.

So far this year, NHS members put on the jersey auction as well as sell carnations for Homecoming week. For the month of October, each member was assigned a class at the elementary level to write an encouraging letter to the students. These letters helped younger students get some motivation to keep working hard throughout the school year.

NHS members also organized their annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser. This fundraiser allowed students to dress up on October 31st for Halloween if they brought two dollars or two non-perishable items. The money and items raised were then donated to Rural Food Connections.  

“We raised the amount of monetary donations and food donations, and we had a lot more people participate,” President Laurel Ockander said. “I think we met our goal and the Rural Food Connections was really grateful for our donations.”

Students who participated were also awarded prizes if they were voted as the best group/duo, most creative, funniest, or the overall winner. Faculty also had a chance to win a prize for the best-dressed faculty member.

The seventh-grade class finished first as the overall class. Sophomore Maya Couch won the funniest costume as an inflatable car guy. The most creative costume was a three-way tie for freshmen Jaley Schultz, Zach Bongers, and Mr. Schlautman. The best duo or group prize was awarded to junior Madison Soukup and senior Sidney Soukup who were Chucky and the Bride of Chucky, as well as Pam Schmid, Betty Betzen, and Brenda Siffring who dressed as the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus. Mrs. Vrbicky dressed as Frida Kahlo and won best-dressed faculty member. The overall costume prize was also a tie between Madison and Sidney, as well as freshman Brenna Windedahl.

Moving on with the year, in November, the NHS members will be writing letters to veterans that show their appreciation for all the sacrifices they have made for our country. In December, the members will be sponsoring a family and buying that family necessities as well as other little gifts on their wish list for Christmas.

“The best part about NHS is being a part of an elite group that helps to improve the atmosphere of DCHS,” Ossian said.

• NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

12.17.18

Scouts split against Panthers

12.14.18

12.13.18

12.12.18

12.11.18

12.10.18

12.07.18

12.06.18

12.04.19