Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

Allie Daro

Senior Cody Sabata stands on the sideline during a game. Sabata said that one of his favorite parts of the season was cheering on his teammates.

The Scout football team finished their season on Fri., Oct. 19, suffering a 16-34 loss to the North Bend Central Tigers.

“Knowing that it was going to be the seniors last game, I think most of them brought their all that night,” senior Colby Hopkins said. “I didn’t want it to end at all. I wish I had another year or even another week of practice and another game on Friday.”

The Scouts ended their season with a 4-5 record, which is the best record they have had since making playoffs in 2011.

“It’s really sad [that football is over],” senior Luis Salazar stated. “I loved playing and being with all my friends. I wouldn’t trade this team for the world.”

The football team had their final event of the year with their banquet, which occurred on Thurs., Nov. 1. Letter winners and participants were recognized. Head Coach Cortney Couch also gave out other awards including Practice Player: Clayton Denker and Harley Eickmeier, Most Improved: Nick Ruth and Jordan Kracl, Foundation Award: Dylan Vodicka, Defensive Impact: Josh Seibert, Offensive Impact: Will Danielson, and Most Letter Points: Justin White.

“I put in a lot of work in the weight room and in camps over the past year to improve,” senior Nick Ruth stated. “I’m really glad that it paid off this season and helped me earn the award for Most Improved Player.”

During the season, the Scouts were defeated by Stanton, Hartington-Cedar Catholic, Aquinas, Centennial, and North Bend. However, the Scouts were close to having a .500 winning percentage with triumphs over Syracuse, Conestoga, Shelby-Rising City, and Twin River.

I think that we had a really good season by adding a few more wins and limiting our losses,” senior Trent Theewen said.

Four of the eight seniors mentioned that one of their highlights for the season was defeating Shelby-Rising City on Homecoming night.

“Beating Shelby was a high point because they were undefeated and rated,” senior Justin White said.

While the end of the season conjures highlights of games and good memories with teammates, it also marked the final time the football seniors would step onto the field. The end of their football careers is a sad point for many of the seniors who will be leaving the team.

“[Being done with football] is sad,” senior Cody Sabata said. “I wish I could have done more and tried harder.”

Going forward, many of the seniors said the things that they will miss most are their team and the life lessons they have learned from their coaches.

“I hope the football program continues to push Coach Couch’s message that in football there are valuable life lessons; it’s not just about the game,” senior Douglas Alvarado said.

There are eight seniors finishing their football careers this year: Alvarado, Will Danielson, Hopkins, Ruth, Sabata, Salazar, Theewen, and White.

“I thought it was a really good year to finish on. We started to build back up the football program a little bit,” Danielson said. “We had more success than we’ve had in the past, and I think people are a little more excited about [the football program].”

• Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

11.09.18

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

11.08.18

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

Halloween 2018

11.07.18

David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

11.06.2018

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence

11.05.18