David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

Maya Couch

Sophomore Payton Andel gets ready to set the ball. Andel had 17 assists throughout the Weeping Water game.

On Sat., October 20, David City High School hosted the David City Quadrangular for four volleyball teams to play in. The DCHS volleyball team played against three other teams: Wilber-Clatonia, Weeping Water, and Boys Town. The tournament commenced at 2:00 pm.

The first game of the day was Boys Town vs. David City. The match was played 2-0, David City winning the first two sets. The first set was played 25-10 and the second set was played to 25-5. Overall, the DCHS volleyball team had 2 aces, 24 kills, with senior Morgan Eickmeier having 11, 21 assists, all from sophomore Payton Andel, and 8 digs, all from sophomore Natalie Blum.

“ For the most part, we played pretty well and didn’t play down to our opponents level,” Head Coach Emily Maresh said. “At times I felt that we really pushed ourselves to speed up the tempo.”

Quickly after the first game, the Weeping Water vs. David City game began. The match was also played 2-0, with David City winning yet another 2 sets. The first set was played 25-12 and the second set was played 25-20. Overall, the DCHS volleyball team had 6 aces, 10 kills, all from sophomore Lauren Vandenberg, 17 assists, also from Andel, and 39 digs, 16 being from Eickmeier.

“A strength of our team is the unity,” Maresh commented. “The girls all want it for each other and are not self-centered.”

The final game of the day was Wilber Clatonia vs David City. This match was played 2-1, with Wilber Clatonia winning the first set, and then David City coming back to win the last two sets. The first set was 22-25, then the second set was 25-4, and the final set ended 25-11. Overall, the DCHS volleyball team had 8 aces, 5 of them coming from senior Allie Daro, 8 kills, all from Vandenberg, 14 assists from Andel, and 32 digs.

When asked about the DCHS’ last game against Wilber, Maresh commented, “I felt like as a team we overlooked Wilber and thought that it would be an easy win and for some reason, we would not have to play very hard. We lacked a lot of discipline in that game and Wilber used that to their advantage”.

The DCHS volleyball took first in the Quad and continued on to Sub Districts where they were defeated by Wahoo on Mon., Oct. 29.

• David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

11.09.18

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

11.08.18

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

Halloween 2018

11.07.18

Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

11.06.2018

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence

11.05.18