Scout football team defeated during “rollercoaster” season

Allie Daro

The seniors on the football team are taking a picture after the game. The seniors are (from left to right): Douglas Alvarado, Cody Sabata, Luis Salazar, Colby Hopkins, Nick Ruth, Will Danielson, Trent Theewen, and Justin White.

The Scout football team was defeated by a score of 7-41 by the Centennial Broncos on Thurs., Oct. 11. The Scouts now have a 4-4 record on the season.

“For the most part, we played pretty good defense,” senior Luis Salazar said. “They have a lot of talent on their team, and they made some pretty incredible plays. We just didn’t stick with them.”

For the majority of the first quarter, the Scouts were able to hold the Broncos. Head Coach Cortney Couch attributes the close first quarter to the Scout defense.

I thought we started out reasonably well. Centennial is a complete team that can hurt you many ways, but I felt we stood in there with them for a while and fought pretty well,” Couch said. “Our defense was pretty sound, so we were able to move the chains a little on offense.”

The Scouts’ defense held the Broncos for the majority of the first quarter and, senior Nick Ruth tackled the Broncos’ punter for a loss. However, toward the end of the quarter, the Broncos scored a touchdown, and their PAT was good.

Centennial is one of those teams who doesn’t make many mistakes, so when they made a couple in the first half, I really felt that was our best opportunity to pull the upset,” Couch stated. “The first one was when Centennial had a bad snap on a punt, and we tackled the punter for a big loss. The other was when they threw an interception toward the end of the first half. If we could have scored on either of those possessions (or both), it could have significantly changed the momentum and feel of the game.”

In the second quarter, the Broncos scored again, giving them a 14-0 lead. The Scouts retaliated with a five-yard touchdown run by junior Clayton Denker. Senior Douglas Alvarado made the PAT, and the Scouts were down by one touchdown, 7-14. The Broncos answered with another touchdown, putting them up 7-21. Before halftime, junior Josh Seibert had an interception; however, the Scouts were unable to score on that drive. The Scouts were down 7-21 at the half.

After half-time, the Broncos added two touchdowns to the scoreboard. They also made both PATs, pushing their lead to 7-35.

In the fourth quarter, the Broncos scored the final touchdown of the game. However, the PAT failed. The Scouts were defeated by the Broncos 7-41.

“It’s so much fun to play with this team,” Salazar stated.” I feel like this team is so different to play on than any other team I’ve played with over the last couple years because we’re all so close. It’s just really fun.”

The final game of the season for the Scouts will be at North Bend on Fri., Oct. 19 at 7:00 p.m.

“[This season has been] better than recent years,” senior Justin White said. “It’s been a rollercoaster.”

• Scout football team defeated during “rollercoaster” season

11.09.18

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

11.08.18

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

Halloween 2018

11.07.18

David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

11.06.2018

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence