Wyatt P., Michael V. collect 100 career wins

Junior Wyatt P. pins his opponent at the Valentine Invite.

Nicole B., Co-Editor

Wrestlers junior Wyatt P. and senior Michael V. each collected their 100th career win at the Cross County Invitational on Jan. 17.

Hard work during the off-season helped Wyatt and Michael reach this accomplishment and will help them achieve future goals. Head coach Tahner Thiem said in addition to the team’s in-season commitments, both wrestlers attended tournaments in the spring, camps throughout the summer, and a UNL training camp in the fall.

“To get 100 wins in a career is something that is definitely an honor,” Thiem said. “They’re always wrestling tournaments that are offered, and they’re never taking weekends off. They’re wrestling through times they’re not always 100 percent.”

Wyatt said he was surprised because he expected to only be near 75 wins, but his dad had kept track and told him he only needed three more to reach 100. Michael, on the other hand, was not surprised at all. Michael said he had counted the match wins from his career and knew he had to be approaching 100 after he achieved his 20th win this season.

“I wish I would have gotten it earlier in the season or at a home tournament, but it still means a lot to show that I’ve improved so much since freshman year,” Michael said.

Wyatt and Michael both agree that without the help from their coaches and teammates, this accomplishment would have never been possible.

Looking to the future, Wyatt said he hopes to be a state champion and for his team to repeat its State and State Dual Championships. Michael said he would like to beat the school’s take-down record, which currently sits at 195 set by Roderick Boss during the ‘96-’97 wrestling season.

“Always give it your best in practice because you practice how you perform,” Wyatt said.