Little Scouts show their spirit

Macy Svoboda

Some of the little Scout cheerleaders started off the game with the fight song. The little kids took turns performing different cheers throughout the night.

On Mon., Aug. 27, the David City High School cheer and dance teams began their annual Little Kids’ Cheer and Dance Camp. This year, the camp’s theme was from the movie Moana. The students from preschool through sixth grade all joined together to dance at the halftime of the Scouts football game. Throughout the first half of the game, the little cheerleaders and dancers also performed multiple cheers.

Platinum Dance seniors Olivia Bell, Allie Daro, Kali Egr, and Macy Svoboda choreographed a dance, using the songs “Where You Are” and “You’re Welcome” from Moana, for the little kids to perform.

“They all seemed to enjoy the Moana theme and had fun performing the dance,” Dance Coach Bergen Carraher said.

The kids, along with the cheer and dance teams, had camp after school from 3:35 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. all week. During camp, different games and activities, like “Peel the Banana” were played, and they learned the dance and cheers to prepare for Friday’s performance.

“We start preparing for camp during the summer; it takes a while to pick a theme, song, T-shirt design, and choreograph a dance with separate parts for older and younger kids,” junior Brittney Palik said. “The most challenging part about setting up for camp is learning everything well enough to teach it.”

In order to prepare for the camp, the DCHS cheerleaders and dancers choreographed the dance, picked out cheers, found games to play with the kids, designed t-shirts, split the students into groups, and came up with ways to make the camp and performance run smoothly.

Overall, I think that the camp was successful this year. We had 102 girls in preschool through 6th grade sign up and attend camp,” Carraher said. “I was very proud of how focused all the girls were when it came to learning the cheers. It was fun to see how excited they were to perform. They all did a wonderful job! Next year, we will make sure to introduce new and different cheers to each grade.”

• Little Scouts show their spirit

11.09.18

• Little Scouts show their spirit

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

• Little Scouts show their spirit

11.08.18

• Little Scouts show their spirit

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

• Little Scouts show their spirit

Halloween 2018

• Little Scouts show their spirit

11.07.18

• Little Scouts show their spirit

David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

• Little Scouts show their spirit

Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

• Little Scouts show their spirit

11.06.2018

• Little Scouts show their spirit

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence

Little Scouts show their spirit