Scouts pleased with win; continue to work hard

Allie Daro

The Scouts line up for senior Douglas Alvarado to kick off. Alvarado was ⅘ with PAT’s on the night.

The David City High School Football team shut out Syracuse with a score of 42-0 on Fri., Aug. 31. The Scouts are now 1-1 on the season.

“We’ve really come together as a team, and we have a lot of teamwork and the ability to work with each other,” senior Nick Ruth stated.

In the first quarter, the Scouts started on top. A 10-yard run by Clayton Denker scored the first touchdown, and the PAT by senior Douglas Alvarado was good, putting the Scouts up 7-0.

The Scouts used the second quarter to extend their lead. Their first touchdown of the second quarter was scored when senior Will Danielson connected with senior Nick Ruth for a 20-yard pass. Alvarado’s PAT was good again, giving David City a 14-0 lead.

Senior Justin White was responsible for a 25-yard run to score the next touchdown, and Alvarado scored the PAT once again. With the Scouts up 21-0, Danielson connected with Josh Seibert for a 43-yard touchdown pass. Alvarado missed the PAT, and the Scouts led 27-0.

A safety by Danielson added two more points to the Scouts’ score, giving them a 29 point lead. The last touchdown of the half occurred when Denker had a 29-yard run to the end zone. The PAT was made by Alvarado, and the Scouts ended the half leading 36-0.

Other than our slow offensive start, we were pretty consistent throughout the game,” Head Coach Cortney Couch stated. “I’m very pleased with the communication I’m getting from the players during the game.”

During halftime, the Platinum Dance Team and the cheer team performed with the members of the Little Kids’ Cheer and Dance Camp.

When the game resumed, neither team scored in the third quarter. The only touchdown in the fourth quarter came from a 2-yard run by sophomore Dylan Vodicka, but the two-point conversion afterward was not completed. Vodicka’s touchdown put the Scouts up 42-0 and was the final score of the game.

We didn’t execute particularly well on offense early in the game, which was disappointing. I thought our defense played tough throughout the game, which saved us early on,” Couch said. “We got going a little bit in the second quarter offensively, and we were able to put the game away. I was happy with the fact that we got all the players into the game, and I thought the younger guys looked pretty good out there.”

The next game for the Scouts is on Fri., Sept. 7 at Conestoga High School in Murray at 7:00 p.m.

“[The game against Syracuse] went pretty well, but we have a lot of stuff to work on if we plan on beating some teams that are later on our schedule,” Danielson stated.

• Scouts pleased with win; continue to work hard

09.20.18

09.19.18

2018 Homecoming Candidates

Cross country: more than just running

09.18.18

09.17.18

09.14.18

Opinion

New lunch stirs commotion

09.12.18

09.11.18