Scouts use loss as motivation to improve

Allie Daro

Sophomore Maya Couch goes up to attack the ball. Couch had a hitting average of .500 against Fillmore Central.

The David City Scout volleyball team was defeated by Fillmore Central on Thurs., Aug. 30. The Scouts went 1-3 with the Panthers.

“I expect this team to only get better and better as the year goes on,” Head Coach Emily Maresh said. “There are some younger girls on the team that made a big jump up to the varsity playing floor, as well as other girls that are playing in new roles on the varsity team. The girls continue to work hard at practice, and they need to continue to trust their skills and training, while not getting overly frustrated if it does not match up right away.”

The Scouts had a slow start to the night, leading to a 7-0 run by the Panthers to begin the first set. Once the Scouts scored, however, the serve changed teams often. Freshman Neely Behrns and sophomore Lauren Vandenberg each had ace serves in their short serving runs to help narrow the gap for the Scouts.

A Panther service error sent senior Macy Svoboda to the service line with the Panthers up 9-13, and a hitting error by the Panthers started Svoboda’s 7-point serving run. When the Panthers got the serve back, the Scouts had taken a 16-14 lead.

The Panthers gained a 22-19 lead before the Scouts got it back, and Vandenberg went on a 4-point serving run to give the Scouts a 24-22 lead. The set was tied up, 24-24, before sophomore Maya Couch had a kill for the Scouts to get the serve back. The Scouts won the first set 26-24.

“When we get the ball in front of the 10-foot line when we are serve receiving we have many options in the front row to use, so we can spread out our attacks,” Maresh said. “Defensively, when we are going all out, all the time, it is hard to get a ball to the floor on our side.”

In the second set, the Panthers gained a 5-0 lead before scoring with a kill by senior Allie Daro. Both teams continued to fight for the serve, but the Panthers managed to string more points together, giving them a 12-3 lead before the Scouts called a time-out. The teams continued to compete for the serve until the Scouts were defeated 8-25.

The Scouts kept the third set close toward the beginning of the set. A timeout was called by the Scouts when the Panthers extended their 20-15 lead. The Scouts earned the serve back after their timeout, but the Panthers went on a 4-point run to win the set 25-16.

Starting the fourth set very competitively, there was no higher than a five-point lead in the beginning of the set. When the Scouts got down 14-19, however, the Scouts called a timeout and managed to side out the next serve.

David City narrowed the gap to 20-23 before calling another timeout. Again, they got the serve back after play resumed. The Scouts took a 22-25 loss to end the game.

“We learned from the mistakes that we made, and the games that we’ve lost, and we can use those to keep getting better,” Vandenberg said.

On Sat., Sept. 1, the Scouts played at the Fort Calhoun Invite, losing 1-2 against Fort Calhoun and beating Winnebago 2-0. They also defeated the East Butler Tigers 3-0 on Tues., Sept. 4. The next varsity game for the Scouts is on Thurs., Sept. 13 at the Malcolm Triangular at 5:00 p.m.

“I think we’ll do pretty good this season,” senior Morgan Eickmeier stated. “We started off a little rough, but I think we have a lot of potential this year.”

• Scouts use loss as motivation to improve

09.20.18

09.19.18

2018 Homecoming Candidates

Cross country: more than just running

09.18.18

09.17.18

09.14.18

Opinion

New lunch stirs commotion

09.12.18

09.11.18