David City High School holds successful blood drive

Junior Dahlia V. patiently waits while giving blood. This was Dahlia’s first year giving blood.

Kasey S.

Each and every day, thousands of volunteers help save lives by rolling up their sleeves and donating blood. According to the American Red Cross, one unit of blood can save up to three lives.

David City High School hosted the annual blood drive in the Activities Center Jan. 14. Donors were welcome to give blood between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m.. The day ended with 130 donors, 16 being DCHS students, donating 127 units of blood, beating the Student Council’s goal of 110 units.

“The turnout was amazing. You usually expect about 40 people not to show up for their appointment, but we were far from that,” Student Council sponsor Amy Backstrom said.

Out of the 130 donors, 28 donated for the first time. There were also nine donors deferred, meaning they did not have enough iron or did not meet the weight requirements. Double red donations were also made where the donor gives double the amount of blood.

“I always told myself when I turned 16 I was going to give blood. I figured it would be a really great experience,” junior Lauren S. said. “I learned a lot, and I wasn’t nervous at all. I am already signed up for the next blood drive.”

The Student Council also planned and operated a sloppy joe meal for donors to enjoy after giving blood. The meal consisted of a sloppy joe, chips, a cookie, and a drink.

This was the 20th year DCHS has participated in the blood drive. The Student Council members started planning the blood drive in November when Backstrom met with the American Red Cross. Throughout the month, members dedicated their time to hanging posters and making phone calls to community members.

“My favorite part is seeing the students being excited about giving blood and seeing them want to do something that is not for themselves,” Backstrom said.