Fall sports season kicks off to a great start

The David City football team plays against itself. The black team is the “varsity” lineup, and the white team is the “junior varsity” line up.

Maya Couch

The Fall Sports Kickoff commenced at the David City High School on August 17, 2018.  The kickoff also included a burger bash, where players and parents could come eat before the assembly.

The kickoff started around 4:00 p.m when the volleyball team held an open practice for visitors to come and watch. Around 5:30 p.m, the football team held a scrimmage at the football field for any fan to come and watch. As the teams were playing, the burger bash was setting up. The Booster Club helped prepare the burger bash. They served burgers, chips, and cookies along with lemonade. They also sold Scout fan clothing before the pep rally began.

“I thought the Fall Sports Kickoff went very well,” Athletic Director Ronda Gestring said.  “We had a nice crowd for the football scrimmage and an excellent turnout for the burger bash.”

The pep rally started around 7:00 p.m, with an opening from the cheerleading squad, where the preformed the David City High School’s fight song.  After the opening, Gestring addressed the crowd, welcoming everyone to the assembly. After that, the head coach of each fall sports team talked about what their hopes are for the upcoming season.

“We are so lucky to have such an awesome Booster Club that hosts events like this for our school,” Head Dance Coach Bergen Carraher said.

Along with the coaches’ talks, both cheer and dance teams performed a dance for the crowd to enjoy. The cheer team performed to the song “Treasure” by Bruno Mars, and the dance team performed to the song “Wear ‘Em Out” by Kendall K. The night ended with a little speech led by Gestring.

“I think the whole purpose of the fall kickoff is to bring our community together and share in the excitement of what the upcoming seasons are going to bring,” Carraher said.

On Thursday, August 23, the David City volleyball team will be playing at St. Paul at 7:00 p.m. The David City Cross Country team will also be competing on Thursday at East Butler, along with the Softball team who will compete at Valley. On Friday, August 24, the David City football team will be playing Stanton at home at 7:00 p.m.

• Fall sports season kicks off to a great start

11.09.18

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

11.08.18

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

Halloween 2018

11.07.18

David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

11.06.2018

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence