DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Junior Eli Alvarado competes for State placement in discus. Alvarado received fifteenth with a throw of 84’ 02”.

Maya Couch

The David City High School track teams competed at the District meet on Thurs., May 10. The girls’ team earned fourth place, and the boys’ team earned eighth place.

Overall, the District meet was bittersweet,” head boys’ coach Drew Rodine said. “We are excited for Clayton to compete at the state meet in the 400, but there were multiple athletes that were close to qualifying.”

At the District meet, there are different ways to qualify for State depending on which events the athlete is in. If someone was in the field events category, they would have to get first or second in the final round or pass the benchmark that automatically places someone through to State. These benchmarks change depending on the event. As for track events, the athlete would have to be first or second or receive a wildcard to move on to State.

In shot put, senior Colin Vandenberg received fifth place with a throw of 42’ 05” along with the discus throw, where Vandenburg threw 125’ 06”, placing him third.

In long jump, junior Macy Svoboda jumped 16’ 07” placing her third, automatically qualifying her for State. Sophomore Josh Siebert jumped 20’ 02”, placing him fourth, along with triple jump, where Siebert jumped 40’ 04” for sixth place.

In triple jump, senior Olivia Couch jumped 34’ 08” placing her fourth, automatically pushing her through to State.

“I was extremely happy with the way everyone competed,” head girls’ coach Brian Hermelbracht said. “I feel that everyone left their best effort on the track, and that is all I ask.”

For running events, in the 400 meter dash, freshman Maya Couch ran a time of 1:03.13 for fifth place. Sophomore Clayton Denker ran a time of 0:52.39 for fourth place, earned him a wildcard to put him through to State.

In the 100 meter hurdles, Svoboda ran a time of 0:16.79 for fourth place and a wildcard to put her through to State. Freshman Mariah Cummings received third place in the 300 meter hurdles after running a time of 0:51.32.

The girls’ 4×100 meter relay team consisting of Svoboda, Cummings, Olivia Couch, and Maya Couch received third after running a time of 0:52.35. The girls’ 4×800 meter relay consisting of juniors Allie Daro, Morgan Eickmeier, and Olivia Bell and sophomore Daphne Viscarra-Navarro gained sixth after running a time of 12:31.40.

“With the accomplishments that were made throughout the season, it will be great to see what will happen next year with getting those athletes to compete again,” Rodine said.

Olivia Couch, Macy Svoboda, and Clayton Denker are the three David City athletes going to compete at State on May 18-19 at Omaha Burke.

• DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

11.09.18

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

11.08.18

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

Halloween 2018

11.07.18

David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

11.06.2018

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence