Conference meet prepares Scouts for Districts

Macy Svoboda places third in long jump. By the end of the season, Svoboda hopes to compete in the State meet in at least one event.

Olivia Couch, Co-Editor

David City High School’s track team made the journey to Fairfield to compete in the Southern Nebraska Conference meet on Sat., Apr. 28. The Scouts ended up placing ninth in the boys overall and eight for the girls.

The meet started off with some success in field events. For the ladies, junior Macy Svoboda placed third in the long jump, and senior Olivia Couch earned second in the triple jump. The boys were able to rack up some points as well with senior Colin Vandenberg placing sixth in shot put, and sophomore Josh Seibert placing fourth in triple jump.

“Getting a PR felt good and boosts my confidence, especially it being conference and getting closer to Districts,” Svoboda said.

Promptly at 12:45, the running events began. Svoboda scored for the girls right away earning third in the 100m hurdles and fifth in the 100m dash. Freshman Maya Couch placed fourth in the 400m dash while her older sister, Olivia, placed third in the 200m run. Wrapping it up for the girls, freshman Mariah Cummings reeled in sixth in the 300m hurdles, and the 4×100 meter relay team consisting of both Couch girls, Svoboda and Cummings, placed third.

For the boys, sophomore Clayton Denker placed first in the 200m dash and third in the open 400m. The boys 4×400 meter relay team consisting of Denker, senior Riley Kirby, junior Luis Salazar, and sophomore Hunter Behrns placed third.

“Bigger meets make competing a little more nerve-racking for me, but just having the mindset of doing my best, having fun, and just competing the way I know I can really helps,” Svoboda said. “My goals for the rest of the season are to get all my technique down for jumps and hurdles and continue to work hard every day so once it is time for Districts I am prepared and try my best to make State.”

The Scouts plan to take on the District competition that will be on Scout territory on Thurs. May 10 with field events beginning at 11 a.m.