DCHS track team dashes toward Conference at Shelby meet

Freshman Payton Andel attempts to clear 6’ 6’’. Andel received third in pole vault for the girls’ team.

Maya Couch

The David City High School track teams competed at the Shelby-Rising City Invitational on Tues., Apr. 24. The girls’ track team received fourth place, and the boys’ track team received seventh place.

“There were some positive moments,” boys’ head coach Drew Rodine said. “As well as things we need to continue to improve on.”

In shot put, senior Colin Vanderburg threw 43’ 11’’ for second place. Junior Macy Svoboda jumped 15’ 06’’ for first place in long jump. In discus, junior Colby Hopkins threw 116’ 09’’ for fourth place. In triple jump, senior Olivia Couch jumped 35’ 02” for first place, and sophomore Josh Siebert jumped 40’ 02” for second place.

Even with the weather conditions, multiple athletes either improved or were close to their personal bests,”  Rodine said.

The 3200 meter relay, or the 4×800, was the first running event for the day. The girls’ team, consisting of freshmen Payton Andel and Natalie Blum and juniors Allie Daro and Morgan Eickmeier, received fifth place with a time of 13:34.20. Freshman Maya Couch earned second with a time of 1:02.90 in the 400 meter dash, along with sophomore Clayton Denker receiving fourth place with a time of 54.10, and junior Luis Salazar receiving fifth place with a time of 54.20.

“There are a lot of things we can’t control like the weather, but we can control how we prepare and our effort,” girls’ head coach Brian Hermelbract said.

Freshman Dylan Vodicka broke finals in the 110 meter hurdles, finishing sixth with a time of 18.10. And for the girls’ team, Svoboda finished third with a time of 17.40 in the 100 meter hurdles.

In the 100 meter dash, Svoboda finished fourth with a time of 13.4. In the 800 meter run, Salazar placed third with a time of 2:16.5. Olivia Couch placed first in the 200 meter dash with a time of 27.2, and Denker received fourth in his race with a time of 23.5. The final race of the day was the 1600 meter relay, or the 4×400. The boys’ team consisting of Salazar, senior Riley Kirby, sophomore Darin Hall, and Denker placed fourth with a time of 3:54.9.

“I believe we have good conditioning, and I think we have cleaned up some field events,” Hermelbracht commented. “Overall, I think we are due to have a big day.”

Since then, The DCHS track teams competed at their Conference meet at Sandy Creek on Sat., Apr. 28. Their next meet will be at Fillmore Central on Thurs., May 3. Field events will start at 2:00 p.m., and running events will start at 4:30 p.m.

• DCHS track team dashes toward Conference at Shelby meet

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

05.17.2018

2017-18 School Year

05.16.2018

Senior Signing Day 2018

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Class of 2018 Graduation

05.15.2018

High School Honors Night 2018

05.14.2018