April 2018 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Colin Mills is the son of Buck and Chris Mills of Bellwood. He has four siblings, Alisha, Kelsa, Nolan, and Brandon. Colin is involved in football as well as track. He also tried wrestling but found it wasn’t for him. Colin spends his free time doing homework, playing with his brothers, hunting and fishing, and jumping on his trampoline.

Upon finding out he was picked for Student of the Month, Colin was surprised and happy. He thinks he was considered because he is hardworking and nice. Colin is very helpful as he tries to help everybody, especially his brothers.

• What are you looking forward to most about summer? Fishing and playing around with friends
  • If you could give another student one piece of advice to finish the school year strong, what would it be? Do your homework, try to get good grades, and be happy.

Eighth grade: Jack McKay is the son of Chad and Kerry McKay of David City. He has two brothers named Drew and Henry, and one sister named Brianna. Jack participates in FCA, football, basketball, wrestling, and track. When Jack is not doing these activities, you can find him watching Netflix.

When Jack first found out that he was Student of the Month he was surprised. Jack thinks he was chosen to be Student of the Month because he keeps up his GPA. He feels like a leader inside and outside of school because he helps people in need. Some qualities that Jack thinks makes him a good person are that he is a good leader and is helpful.

• What are you looking forward to most about summer? Swimming and weight room
  • If you could give another student one piece of advice to finish the school year strong, what would it be? Study for those final tests.

Freshman: Mariah Cummings is the daughter of Sara and Ryan Cummings of Octavia. She has an older brother, Preston, and two younger siblings, Tyran and Brayden, alongside her stepsister, Jenna, who is the same age as Mariah. Mariah is a very active student within the school. She participates in basketball, volleyball, track, Stay U, and FCA. When she isn’t at school, however, she is either at dance practice or hanging out with friends.

When Mariah first found out she was Student of the Month, she said she was very surprised. She thinks she became Student of the Month because she is a nice person and is able to make a lot of friends that way. Mariah also thinks she is a hard worker in the classroom and is able to get good grades. She also expressed that she stays out of troubles and finds motivation in sports to keep up her good work ethic.

“I feel like I am a leader inside the classroom because I’m able to get work done,” Mariah said. “And then outside the classroom I’m able to help those who are struggling in class.”

• What are you looking forward to most about summer? Sports camps and hanging out with friends.
  • If you could give another student one piece of advice to finish the school year strong, what would it be? Get your work, even if it’s late, don’t slack and don’t procrastinate, and it’ll be worth it in the end, hard work pays off.

Sophomore: Madison Masek is the daughter of Stacey and Royal Bykerk of Brainard. She has four sisters: Allison, Katie, Mindy and Leia. Masek participates in softball, FOR Club, and Stay-U. When she is not participating in these activities, Madison can typically be found babysitting.

Madison was surprised when she found out she was chosen for Student of the Month. She thinks she was chosen because she works hard in and out of class and always tries to help others. Some qualities Madison has that she feels make her a good person are that she is trustworthy, kind, and thoughtful. She feels she is a leader in and out of the classroom by leading by example and doing her best.

• What are you looking forward to most about summer? Hanging out with friends and making money at my summer job.
  • If you could give another student one piece of advice to finish the year strong, what would it be? Don’t procrastinate.

Junior: Carter Ossian is the son of Deb and Joey Ossian  of Garrison. He has two older sisters, Staci and Sam. Carter is involved in cross country, track, Speech, One-Act, National Honor Society, Quiz Bowl, Stay-U, and FCA. When Carter isn’t at school, he is usually at home.

When Carter found out he was Student of the Month, he was happy and surprised. Carter thinks he was chosen to be Student of the Month because he’s a kind person, is a good problem solver, and has good leadership and vocal skills.

“I’ve been working really hard to get my grades up and working hard with my school work,” Carter said.

• What are you looking forward to most about summer? Working at the pool.
  • If you could give another student one piece of advice to finish the year strong, what would it be? Summer is almost here.

Senior: Hannah Farmer is the daughter of Beth and James Farmer of Bruno. She has four siblings, Grace, James, Hailey, and Jackson. Hannah is involved in SCOOP, FCCLA, NHS, Student Council, Stay-U, FOR Club, and One-Act. When Hannah’s not in school, she spends most of her free time either working or hanging out with friends.

When Hannah first received the news, she was really excited because she has always wanted to be Student of the Month. She is a leader inside and outside of the classroom because she likes to help people and is someone they can come to if they need help. Kindness, humor, and positivity are some qualities that Hannah believes make her a good person. Those qualities and her hard working skills are some reasons she believes she selected for Student of the Month.

• What are you looking forward to most about summer? Starting my new life
  • If you could give another student one piece of advice to finish the year strong, what would it be? Don’t skip school because it won’t help you, do your homework, and enjoy it because it doesn’t last long.