Competitive attitude helps Scout track teams improve

Sophomore Clayton Denker competes in the 400 meter dash. Denker received first in the 400 with a time of 54.11, and he was the anchor for the 4x400.

Allie Daro

The David City High School track teams attended the Centennial Invite on Tues., Apr. 17. The girls’ track team received fifth place, and the boys’ track team earned seventh.

“Centennial was good,” girls’ track coach Brian Hermelbracht said. “We had a lot of best efforts.

The meet began with boys’ shot put, girls’ discus, boys’ long jump, girls’ long jump, boys’ pole vault, and girls’ high jump. The first field events were followed by girls’ shot put, boys’ discus, boys’ triple jump, girls’ triple jump, girls’ pole vault, and boys’ high jump, respectively.

I thought that the Centennial invite went really well, and the boys competed hard in all events they participated in,” boys’ track coach Drew Rodine stated. “There were multiple athletes that got pr’s [personal records] at the meet: Dalton in long jump, Colin in shot put, Dylan in 110 hurdles, Colby in discus, and the boys’ 4×4 ran their best time this year, as a few examples.”

In shot put, senior Colin Vandenberg threw 45’ 5” for third place. Junior Evelyn Carreto earned fifth in discus with a throw of 98’ 9”. Junior Macy Svoboda also received fifth place with a jump 15’ 8” in long jump. Junior Colby Hopkins threw 112’ 11.5” for sixth place in discus. Junior Carter Ossian also received sixth place with a jump of 38’ 5” in triple jump.

“Everybody is competing on a regular basis,” Hermelbracht stated. “That’s all I can ask, in any race, is that kids compete.”

The 3200 meter relay, or the 4×800, was the first running event. The girls’ team, made up of junior Allie Daro, sophomore Daphne Navarro, and juniors Olivia Bell and Morgan Eickmeier, received sixth place. Freshman Harley Eickmeier, sophomore Darin Hall, Ossian, and junior Luis Salazar, the boys’ team, earned fourth. Freshman Maya Couch earned first place in the 400 meter dash with a time of 1:03.71. Sophomore Clayton Denker also received first place in the 400 with a time of 54.11.

Freshman Dylan Vodicka broke finals in the 110 meter high hurdles and received seventh place with a time of 18.47. On the girls’ end, Svoboda earned second place in the 100 meter intermediate hurdles with a time of 17.87.

In the 100 meter dash, freshman Mariah Cummings placed fourth with a time of 13.58, and Svoboda earned fifth, running a 13.68. Salazar earned fifth place in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:16.20. Maya Couch also received fifth place in the 800 with a time of 2:38.5.

Cummings ran a 53.58 to earn third place in the 300 meter low hurdles. Senior Olivia Couch received third place in the 200 meter dash with a time of 27.29.

In the 400 meter relay, or the 4×100, the boys’ relay team of sophomore Josh Seibert, junior Nick Ruth, senior Riley Kirby, and sophomore Hunter Behrns earned fifth by running a time of 55.04. The girls’ team, consisting of Svoboda, Cummings, freshman Natalie Blum, and Olivia Couch, ran a 55.55 to receive fourth.

The final race was the 1600 meter relay, or the 4×400. The boys’ team of Seibert, Behrns, Salazar, and Denker received second place, running a 3:46.25. They earned second place by 0.02 seconds.

“I like the way we have a number of kids sitting [at Conference],” Hermelbracht said. “We have a lot of kids that have a chance to bring home some Conference medals, and that’s kind of a big deal.”

The Scout track teams also competed at the Shelby-Rising City Invite on Tues., Apr. 24th. Conference track is next for the DCHS track teams. The SNC Conference meet will be held at Sandy Creek on Sat., Apr. 28; field events will begin at 10:00 a.m., and running events will start at 12:30 p.m.

As the team continues to work hard and athletes recover from injuries, these upcoming meets will be exciting to see how the athletes improve from the beginning of the season,” Rodine said.