Scout FCCLA attends State conference; two off to Nationals

Senior Cole Martinez stands on stage waiting for the results of his category. This will be Martinez’s second time going to the National Leadership Conference.

Sidney Soukup

Twelve members of the David City FCCLA Chapter attended the State Leadership Conference in Lincoln at the Pinnacle Bank Arena from Apr. 8-10.

Over the course of three days, FCCLA members from all over Nebraska attended sessions, listened to speakers, competed in the STAR competition, and participated in service projects or tours.

The State conference kicked off on Sun., Apr. 8 at the opening session where they listened to this year’s keynote speaker, Ryan Moran. Moran spoke to students about finding their gifts and talents, not fearing the unknown, and the difference one student can make.

“I liked Ryan Moran a lot,” sophomore Jaymee Lee said. “He talked about a serious subject, but made it fun so we could be involved.”

On Apr. 9, eight of the twelve members started off early in the morning giving their STAR presentations. Non-competitors spent their morning either attending FCCLA Serves Projects or tours in Lincoln. Some of those included helping at the People’s City Mission, Lincoln’s Children Zoo, and participating in Keep Lincoln Beautiful.

“I went to the Matt Talbot Kitchen,” senior Una Boe said. “It was actually a lot of fun. We organized and helped cook.”

After competing and participating in serve projects, FCCLA members attended multiple sessions. The second day concluded with the Business and Recognition Session where Boe and senior Debbie White were recognized for Power of One.

The last day started off early in the morning with the STAR event award ceremony. The results are as follows:

Recycle and Redesign jr: seventh grader Braxton Small, silver; Recycle and Redesign sr: sophomore Jaymee Lee, silver; Health and Wellness sr: sophomores Bryanna McAuley and Ivy Miller, bronze; Fashion Construction sr: senior Isabel Small, gold; Applied Math for Culinary Arts sr: senior Angel Sweeney, state champion with silver; Teach and Train sr: senior Cole Martinez, runner-up with gold.

“I could’ve done better, but I definitely could of done worse,” Lee said. “I felt like I messed up a lot, so I’m pretty happy I got silver.”

Sweeney and Martinez both qualified for the National Leadership Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, from June 28 through July 2.

• Scout FCCLA attends State conference; two off to Nationals

09.20.18

09.19.18

2018 Homecoming Candidates

Cross country: more than just running

09.18.18

09.17.18

09.14.18

Opinion

New lunch stirs commotion

09.12.18

09.11.18