Track season speeds to a start

Allie Daro

The David City High School track team competed at the Aquinas Triangular on Thurs., Mar. 22.

The team did a great job competing yesterday,” Boys’ Track Coach Drew Rodine stated. “Multiple athletes are starting the season with PR’s (personal records) or close to marks/times that they ended the 2017 season.”

The meet began with boys’ shot put, girls’ discus, girls’ long jump, boys’ triple jump, boys’ pole vault, and girls’ high jump. The opposite gender followed in each event.

In boys’ shot put, senior Colin Vandenberg received second place with a throw of 40’ 5.5”, and junior Colby Hopkins earned sixth, throwing 38’ 1.5”. In discus, Vandenberg threw 120’ 11” for first place. Junior Trent Theewen received fourth place, throwing 114’ 2”, and sophomore Brock Tiemeyer earned sixth place with a throw of 109’ 6”. Junior Evelyn Carreto was the only female thrower to place, throwing 97’ 11” to earn third place in girls’ discus.

The Scouts had no girls place in long jump or triple jump, and no boys competed in triple jump for the Scouts. However, junior Nick Ruth jumped 16’ 10” to earn fourth place in boys’ long jump. In girls’ high jump, freshman Lauren Vandenberg received third place with a jump of 4’ 6”, and freshman Natalie Blum jumped 4’ 2” to tie for fifth place. Freshman Dylan Vodicka also received fifth place in boys’ high jump with a jump of 5’ 2”.

Both teams also placed a member in pole vault, with sophomore Jacson Valentine earning sixth place with a height of 9’ in boys, and freshman Payton Andel vaulted 7’ to place fifth.

As the field events were coming to a close, the running events began with the 3200 meter relay, or the 4×800. The girls’ 4×800 team received second out of the two teams in the relay with a time of 13:27.00, and the boys’ team received second out of three teams with a time of 9:46.70.

The 100/110 high hurdles was the next running event. Freshman Shelby Hein ran an 11.00 to earn fifth place. In the 100 meter dash, freshman Mariah Cummings earned fourth place with a time of 13.40.

In the 400 meter relay, or the 4×100, the “thrower’s relays” competed for the Scouts. The girls’ team received third place with a time of 1:06.80, and the boys’ team earned fourth with a time of 51.70. In the 400 meter dash, sophomore Clayton Denker ran a 55.70 to receive second for the boys.

In the next event, the 300 meter low/intermediate hurdles, Cummings earned second place with a time of 52.90, and sophomore Hunter Behrns received third with a time of 44.50. In the 800 meter run, Hein ran a 3:15.00 to earn fifth, and junior Olivia Bell came in sixth with a time of 3:21.60. Junior Luis Salazar ran a 2:12.40 to place second.

Sophomore Dalton Krause was the only member in the 3200 meter run, and he received fifth place with a time of 12:30.00. The 1600 meter relay, or the 4×400, was the final event of the meet, and both teams for the Scouts earned third place. The girls had a time of 5:10.40, and the boys ran a time of 3:59.10.

Both the girls’ and boys’ track teams received third place at the triangular.

“It did [live up to my expectations.] I thought the meet went well,” Hermelbracht said. “I like the way everyone competed hard and finished races.”

The DCHS track teams also competed at the Fairbury Invite on Sat., Mar. 24 and the Wahoo Quadrangular on Tues., Mar. 27. Their next meet will be at the Aquinas Invite on Thurs., Apr. 5, beginning at 2:00 p.m.

With how hard the athletes are working, it will be exciting to see how each athlete finishes the season,” Rodine said.

• Track season speeds to a start

12.17.18

• Track season speeds to a start

Scouts split against Panthers

• Track season speeds to a start

12.14.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.13.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.12.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.11.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.10.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.07.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.06.18

• Track season speeds to a start

12.04.19

Track season speeds to a start