Column: School shootings cause uproar in safety

Renee Backstrom

Recently, school shootings have been a hot topic of discussion in the government and schools across America. One of the main discussions buzzing around began after President Trump released a statement about what he wants to do about school shootings.

In a video on the NYTimes, Trump said school officials, teachers, and coaches should have a conceal carry. He believes that if the Coach in Florida had a gun on him, then he could have saved the kids and himself with just one shot.

Trump also came out saying that the people with the guns would be ex-military in the schools. As far as I know, having people with military training in schools everywhere is very unlikely. Also, some people who come back from war suffer from PTSD, depression, and many other mental illnesses. I don’t feel like putting a gun in the hand of someone who suffers from PTSD is the smartest decision.

Possibly giving teachers guns makes me feel more unsafe than I feel right now. I honestly feel really safe at school, but if we start putting guns in our school where guns have never been, then I will feel unsafe. If school shootings are happening, then don’t place guns in school for easier access to kids. How easy would it be for a teacher who had a gun to get taken down by an angry student three times bigger than him or her?

Other reasons I do not want guns in schools is the fact that guns themselves are unpredictable. There are numerous stories out there about guns accidentally going off or people forgetting to put guns in the safety lock. This would only be bad if the teachers had the guns on them at all times, but what if they put them in a safe? At first, yes, that sounds like a really good idea, but what happens when the teacher’s desk is on the other side of the room from where he or she is teaching and a school shooter is coming down that teacher’s hallway? Maybe I am just speaking for myself, but I usually mess up my passwords or locker combinations when I am in a big hurry, and I think having a shooter coming down the hallway would not help the situation.

I don’t believe in letting teachers have guns in schools to protect us. I do, however, believe that we should make changes to prevent schools shootings from happening. I think that taking the measure to get rid of backpacks in classrooms at David City High School was a good idea. I know some may say that I only think that because I almost done with school and won’t have to deal with it, but little things like that change can make a big difference. We all know for a fact that we only used our bookbags because we are lazy teenagers, but what happens when we do get a gun or a bomb threat? It is a lot easier to check everyone’s lockers where the bookbags are then to have to go to every single classroom.

Just because you don’t think small town David City, Nebraska, could ever have a school shooting doesn’t mean our school should not prepare for one. Instead of trying to fight changes, try to embrace them and be thankful the administration and teachers care for you enough to want to make you and our school a safer place.

Lastly, I think that in order for our school to reduce the likeliness of a school shooting we need to come together as a school. On the day of the walk out, it broke my heart to have to walk out of school to mourn the loss of the 17 people who shouldn’t have had to die to raise awareness. It wasn’t a protest in favor of banning guns, it was a protest of strength and love to show that school shootings should be no more.

• Column: School shootings cause uproar in safety

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

05.17.2018

2017-18 School Year

05.16.2018

Senior Signing Day 2018

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Class of 2018 Graduation

05.15.2018

High School Honors Night 2018

05.14.2018