Review: Marvel’s Black Panther leaves crowds roaring

Back to Article
Back to Article

Olivia Couch, Co-Editor

The cinematic brilliance that is Black Panther made its debut on Feb. 16 in theaters across the world. Racking in $786.3 million at the Box Office as of Mar. 2 and receiving a 97% score on Rotten Tomatoes, I knew this was a movie I had to see for myself. Luckily, on Mar. 10, that’s exactly what I did.

I do consider myself a big superhero fan, and the Marvel Universe is known for their astounding movies. All of this was just another reason for me to be excited as I took my seat. Right away, the movie captured my attention as the Wakandan nation’s legend was told.

One of the major differences between the Marvel and DC Universes is the use of comic relief that is common in Marvel movies. I found, and thoroughly enjoyed, this relief in the protagonist’s, known as T’Challa,  sister Shuri. They shared a bond that I found really relatable with having younger siblings myself. Not only that, but it seems that certain items from the real world made it into the movie. It apepars the ever-popular “What are thooooooooose?” saying is also present in Wakanda.

The technology and style in Wakanda are wonders in themselves. Although the effects are visually stunning, all the research that went into the project is also very admirable. Costume designer Ruth E. Carter did intensive research to create over one thousand costumes for the film.

“The costumes are multilayered, and there’s a lot of people involved with each step,” Carter told NBC. “Each step has to be shown and approved, and all kinds of stuff.” Carter further explained that she felt “the pageantry of the film has connected with people in such a beautiful way. People want to honor themselves, they want to honor culture, they want to honor Africa. They just want to be happy to be who they are, not trying to be something they aren’t.”

The cultural music, setting, and design aside, the story also contains an enticing plot. I must admit that looking at the 2 hour 14 minute runtime was a bit intimidating. However, I was pleasantly surprised on how intriguing the film was throughout that time. My dad always says, “A film is only as good as its villain,” and Michael B. Jordan does an amazing job portraying the antagonist Erik Killmonger. Killmonger’s backstory and motive really made viewers empathize with the character while hating him simultaneously.

Containing internal conflict, incredible technology, humor, sadness, loyalty, and more, I have nothing but positive remarks about the production as a whole. Without giving much more away, it’s safe to say we can expect more out of Wakanda’s protector, the Black Panther.

• Review: Marvel’s Black Panther leaves crowds roaring

12.17.18

Scouts split against Panthers

12.14.18

12.13.18

12.12.18

12.11.18

12.10.18

12.07.18

12.06.18

12.04.19