Review: Music in the 90s V.S 2000s: Which time period will win?

Junior Ebani Filbert listens to music. Filbert has been in choir for three years.

Rachel Roemmich

Rachel Roemmich

Rachel Roemmich

People say that music soothes the savage beast, but it also soothes the soul. Music has changed in many ways, some for the better and some for the worse. There are many different styles and genres including Rock, Pop, Rap, R&B, and so on. Every day many people listen to music whether it be at home, at school, or even at work.

I personally think music from the 90s and early 2000s is better than the music today. The music now is inappropriate and not tasteful. However, there are some songs that are more my style, and there are some artists that produce creative, tasteful music. I don’t have a favorite style of music because I think that all styles have their good songs, some more than others. One of my favorite songs is “Life is a Highway” by Rascal Flatts, and one of my favorite artists is Elton John.

David City High School Principal Courtney Couch expressed that his favorite type/style of music is Grunge and Heavy Rock metal. Couch says that Grunge is still his favorite music over all, and his favorite bands/artists are the Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age. His favorite song from the 2000s and 90s was “Everlong” by Queens of the Stone Age.  However, Couch feels like he doesn’t relate to newer music as closely as he does with music in the 90s because he is older than most of the musicians.

Senior Sarah Wolfenden feels like the music for the 2000s to today is more punk sounding. When asked about how she feels about 90s music, she said it’s not something she listens to daily. Wolfenden’s favorite styles of music are Rap and Hip Hop. Her favorite artist is Elton John and favorite song is “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado.

Junior Ebani Filbert thinks the music in the 90s was not bad, and the music now/in the 2000s is garbage. One thing she does like about music now is how technology has improved so much in the music industry. Filbert’s favorite style of music is Rock and favorite artist is Alicien. Her favorite song from the 2000s is “I Miss You” by Blink 182, and her favorite 90s song is “Otherside” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Music helps many people in many ways, whether it be for relief or to help someone focus. It is powerful in the science that the song can be so meaningful to someone, but it can also be fun and light with a song or a tune being upbeat. Music can impact many people in many ways and has been evolving and is still evolving into the music we hear today.

• Review: Music in the 90s V.S 2000s: Which time period will win?

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

05.17.2018

2017-18 School Year

05.16.2018

Senior Signing Day 2018

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Class of 2018 Graduation

05.15.2018

High School Honors Night 2018

05.14.2018