Springing into end-of-the-year activities

Allie Daro

The beginning of spring, for most people, means they’ll get to enjoy warmer weather. For high school athletes, warmer weather means one thing: outdoor sports. David City High School offers two spring sports: track and golf.

Track began on Mon., Feb. 26, and participants there were girls or students who didn’t participate in a sport during the winter.

We are definitely going to try to have more fun this year whether that’s doing scavenger hunts, relays, or adding incentives to some of the harder workouts,” Girls’ Track Coach Brian Hermelbracht stated.

Track members that played for the boys’ basketball team or were part of the wrestling team were given a week-long break between winter and spring sports, so the first required practice for all athletes was on Mon., Mar. 5.

In total, the girls’ track team has 23 members. Their team has grown tremendously, after losing only one senior and gaining a large number of incoming freshmen.  The girls’ track team currently consists of one senior, six juniors, three sophomores, and thirteen freshmen.

I really like our depth going into this year; I really see us being able to score in all areas. This is the largest team that I have had in many years, so we will have options,” Hermelbracht said. “The girls are going to compete and get better every day and probably turn some heads in the process.”

New participants aren’t the only changing faces for the track team, however. Track members will also see a change in the coaching staff this year with Cole Carraher becoming the mid and long distance coach for both the girls’ and boys’ teams.

The boys’ track team is made up of two seniors, seven juniors, nine sophomores, and seven freshmen. Boys’ Track Coach Drew Rodine has high expectations for the mental side of the sport.

What I would like to see from our athletes is always bringing a positive mentality and hard work ethic for what they want to achieve in the season,” Rodine said. “[My expectation is] for athletes to set goals and to use each meet as an opportunity to reach them. The athletes know what they want to accomplish. As coaches, we do our best to challenge each athlete during practice so they can be successful at the meets.”

The Aquinas Triangular will take place on Tues., Mar. 20, and will be the first meet for both track teams.

Golfers are also preparing for this spring. The golf team has eleven participants this year: five juniors, three sophomores, and three freshmen. They are also returning three Varsity golfers from last year’s team even though they lost two seniors. After being a competitive team last year, Golf Coach Tom VanWinkle is looking forward to finding a solid golfer for the fourth or fifth Varsity spot in order to be an even better team this year.

“I am looking forward to working with some talented freshmen and helping them to get competition ready, as well as seeing how much the older returnees have improved over the summer,” VanWinkle said.

After placing second at Conference last year and four other times before that, the golf team is looking forward to hosting Conference, where they’ll have a good chance at placing first this year, according to VanWinkle.

We host the Conference meet this year, which should give us a huge advantage over other conference schools,” VanWinkle stated. “We have never won our Conference meet since we joined the SNC Conference, and it would be amazing if we could accomplish that.”

Golf participants have their first meet on Wed., Apr. 4 at DC West.

• Springing into end-of-the-year activities

12.17.18

Scouts split against Panthers

12.14.18

12.13.18

12.12.18

12.11.18

12.10.18

12.07.18

12.06.18

12.04.19