February 2018 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Braxton Small is the son of Crystal and Brian Small of David City. He has an older sister, Isabel, and a younger brother, Garrett. Braxton is involved in FCCLA and cross country, and he plans to go out for track. When Braxton has free time, you can find him drawing, playing video games, or most likely sleeping

When Braxton found out he was the Student of the Month, he was surprised because he thought it would have been somebody else. He feels he was considered because he has good work ethic. He usually helps others with projects inside and outside the classroom, especially his brother and sister.

• Do you like Valentine’s Day? Why or why not? Yeah, because I like getting candy and it’s mostly good fun.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s candy? I really like hot tamales, it’s not really a Valentine’s Day candy but they’re good.

Eighth grade: Maci Dion is the daughter of Tom and Theresa Dion of David City. She is involved in FCCLA in school and is in confirmation classes outside of school. She spends most of her free time outside of school at her house.

Upon finding out she received Student of the Month, Maci was very excited and told her parents right away. She believes she was chosen for Student of the Month because she is respectful in class and helps other students out when they need it. She is a leader inside and outside of the classroom because she is someone her friends can always come to if they need help with homework.

• Do you like Valentine’s Day? Why or why not? Yes, it’s a fun holiday to show your love and appreciation for people.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s candy? I like dark chocolate and the school cookies.

Freshman: Dylan Vodicka is the son of Jim and Julie Vodicka of Garrison. He has two older siblings, Dalton and Dahlia, and one younger sibling, Daren. Dylan is a very active student when it comes to activities he does within the school. Some of these activities include football, wrestling, FCA, Stay U, track or golf, and Student Council. When Dylan isn’t participating in his sports or FCA meetings, he usually spends his free time on the wrestling mat or partaking in random activities like playing the PS4.

When Dylan first found out he was Student of the Month, Dylan commented, “Woo Hoo!” and continued to smile.

Dylan thinks he became Student of the Month because he gets good grades and stays out of trouble. He also believes that because he is friendly, kind, smart, and has good leadership qualities that helped pushed him to the top when being considered for Student of the Month.

“I feel like I am a leader in and outside of the classroom by helping others and trying to encourage them, but also leading by example,” Dylan said.

• Do you like Valentine’s Day? Why or why not? No, because I don’t have any special others. It also seems kind of girly.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s candy? Chocolate or the cookies that the school makes.

Sophomore: Kirsten Bell is the daughter of Joy Woita and Rodney Bell. She has one sister, Brooke, who is a senior at DCHS. Kirsten is involved in multiple activities. They include volleyball, FFA, Speech, One-Act, band, FCA, Jobs Daughters, and student council. Kirsten is also a cadet on the Bellwood Volunteer Fire Department and is a member of Bellwood United Methodist Church. If she isn’t at Speech practice, Kirsten is more than likely at home working on her new room.

When Kirsten found out that she was Student of the Month she was surprised and excited knowing that it would recognize her as being a great student.

Being Student of the Month gives you an extra boost especially as the year goes on and being in the second semester,” Kirsten stated.

Kirsten assumed she became Student of the Month because she has good grades and is willing to help out with any task that is needed. She believes she is a leader outside of the classroom because she is always trying to be a role model and do what is best for herself and the people around her.

• Do you like Valentine’s Day? Why or why not? I don’t mind Valentine’s Day. I never have done anything for it, though, so to me it’s just kind of another day. The one thing I do look forward to is the FCCLA cookies though.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s candy? My favorite Valentine’s Day candy is probably Reese’s hearts.

Junior: Josie Cudaback is the daughter of Christine and Jeff Cudaback of Bellwood. She has two sisters, an older sister, Jess, and a younger one, Jerri. Josie is involved in Student Council, Stay-U, cheerleading, FCCLA, NHS, and Quiz Bowl. Outside of school she like to volunteer around the community, hunt, fish, go swimming, paint, draw, and do chores.

When Josie found out she was Student of the Month, she was happy and excited. Josie thinks she was considered Student of the Month because she says she is respectful to teachers, and she’s a leader inside and outside of the classroom. She feels that she is a leader inside of school because she is helpful to other students.

• Do you like Valentine’s Day? Why or why not? Yes, because love is in the air, and we get candy.
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s candy? Kit kats

Senior: Brooke Bell is the daughter of Joy Woita of David City and Rodney Bell of Bellwood. She has one younger sister, Kirsten. Brooke is involved with Speech, One-Act, FFA, NHS, and Jobs Daughters. When Brooke is not in school, she spends her time either at home or hanging out with friends.

When Brooke found out she was chosen for Student of the Month, she was glad her teachers considered her a good enough role model and student to be chosen.

“I am willing to take charge of a situation and do what is needed to accomplish a task, I like to include people in projects and conversations, don’t like leaving people out, and understand and acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their own opinion,” Brooke explained.

• Do you like Valentine’s Day? Why or why not? Yes, it’s super cheesy!
  • What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy? Conversation Hearts

• February 2018 Students of the Month

01.07.19

• February 2018 Students of the Month

01.04.19

• February 2018 Students of the Month

01.03.19

• February 2018 Students of the Month

Scout wrestlers “learn to wrestle under pressure”

• February 2018 Students of the Month

News

DCHS music students spread holiday cheer at annual concert

• February 2018 Students of the Month

12.20.18

• February 2018 Students of the Month

12.19.18

• February 2018 Students of the Month

12.18.18

• February 2018 Students of the Month

12.17.18

• February 2018 Students of the Month

Scouts split against Panthers

February 2018 Students of the Month