Column: To speak or not to speak?

Olivia Couch

Olivia Couch, Co-Editor

Our school is full of opinions. Although many students voice their dread to attend school each day it’s in session, I believe that most of us are “low-key” glad we have the freedom to receive the education we do. The thing we must decide is if we should voice our opinions or keep them to ourselves.

The fact is, the faculty is always looking to improve the school. Contrary to popular belief, many of the complaints students list do go into consideration. This is more so true than ever with a student board member. However, not everything can be caught. Students may be hesitant to list the ideas they have or just don’t want to create a conflict. On the other hand, some students are very vocal and headstrong about what they want, whether the situation is big or small. For example, if the school banned unicorn stickers, I can’t say I would be shocked if a student were to fight for their right to wear and use said unicorn stickers. (I mean, unicorn stickers are pretty awesome.) Finding a balance to the excessive and deficient is what I think would make the student body, and in turn our school, more successful.

“We don’t rewrite the handbook, but we revise it each year. So, every year, we start by looking at the existing handbook and going over any major problems that may have come up during the year (problems that we didn’t feel were properly addressed by the existing handbook). We also look at School Board Policy. We want to make sure that if there has been any change in the School Board Policy, that our Handbooks reflect those changes,” David City High School Principal Cortney Couch said. “Once we’ve considered the big problems that we dealt with, and we’ve cross-referenced school policy, we look at things that we (principals) just want to change for whatever reason.”

So what are some important opinions circulating in the school? Are there items that should be considered further by both students and staff? I believe there are. After all, there wouldn’t ever be improvement if such notions didn’t exist.

Personally, I believe the school is more for us than against us. It is up to us as to how we respond to rules, classes, workload, and put forth our opinions. In the end, the goal is to make the school a better place for all. If you choose not to speak, make sure it isn’t a problem that you really feel needs to be addressed. After the conflict has been thought over and the time to speak arises, it is important to remember that how you present the issue can make or break how your message will be taken.

“I think all people [students, teachers, administrators, secretaries, bus drivers, cooks, etc.] can do a better job of amplifying the positive things. It seems like people can easily fall into the trap of focusing on the negative or looking for some sort of fight or conflict. It’s such a waste of time and energy, and yet we all do it,” Couch said. “Last summer, before Mr. Fuller had his accident, we were sitting in my office, and I was telling him that if everybody could just work hard and be nice to people, we’d have it made at this school. I still feel that way.”

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

08.17.18

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

08.16.18

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

08.15.18

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

2018 DCHS Alumni Banquet

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

05.17.2018

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

2017-18 School Year

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

05.16.2018

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

Senior Signing Day 2018

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

• Column: To speak or not to speak?

Class of 2018 Graduation

Column: To speak or not to speak?