Zero-K Club launches eggs from slingshot

Zero-K members work together to set up the slingshot. The slingshot was handmade by various members of the club.

Katie Tresler

The Zero-K Science Club members partnered up to launch eggs from a homemade slingshot on Tues., Jan. 30 at the school’s practice field.

Students in the Zero-K Club worked together to decide what experiments to do within the club, and after much debate, they soon set out to design capsules that will ensure the safety of an egg.

“I’m pretty confident that this is going to be an extremely fun project for everybody, and I mean who doesn’t want to shoot a bunch of eggs into the air with a slingshot,” senior Zero-K Club President Josh Escamilla stated.

The idea of building a slingshot was developed when Escamilla and Zero-K Club Sponsor Ed Sieck put their minds together to take the engineering project one step further.

“Well it was the Zero-K members who wanted to do an egg drop, and I thought we should take it a step further and do something similar, but something nobody’s done before,” Sieck explained.

The rules were clear: build a small capsule that could protect an egg during impact after being launched three times.

“I still wasn’t really sure if it [the capsule] was going to work, but I guess that’s the point of an experiment to see what works and what doesn’t,” junior Ebani Filbert stated after being asked about her project.

The project was a contest between the members. Each partner duo had to compete in three categories: style, distance, and protection. Each category gave points that were totaled in order to figure an overall winner, who was presented with a trophy.

“I felt that the winners deserved it, they tried their hardest to make their designs,” Escamilla stated.

No eggs were broken, meaning all designs were successful in the protection aspect. Filbert and her partner senior Will Heller won with the best style. The final category was distance, ranking the top three projects based on how far their capsules flew. Coming in first place were senior Luis Lopez and sophomore Riley Paseka with their Nerf football. In second were seniors Jada Ranslem and Tori Cooper who protected their egg with cotton inside an empty peanut butter jar. Finally, in third place, placing their egg within a jar of peanut butter were juniors Rachael Janak and Katie Tresler.

“I was pretty excited because I’ve seen them do it on T.V., but I haven’t actually done it,” Filbert said.

• Zero-K Club launches eggs from slingshot

05.17.2018

2017-18 School Year

05.16.2018

Senior Signing Day 2018

DCHS track team puts three to State at District meet

Class of 2018 Graduation

05.15.2018

High School Honors Night 2018

05.14.2018

Stay-U Middle School Fun Night 2018