Scout basketball teams suffer losses and face success

Senior Olivia Couch jumps for the ball to determine possession. Couch led the team with six assists against Thayer Central.

Allie Daro

The Scout basketball teams competed against the Thayer Central Titans on Sat., Jan. 27. The girls basketball team lost to Thayer Central 58-62, and the boys basketball team beat the Titans 66-43.

In the girls’ game, Thayer Central began with a 19-11 lead after the first quarter. They tacked on another 19 points in the second quarter, and the Scouts scored 14 points. At the end of the first half, Thayer Central was up 38-25.

After halftime, the Scouts came out and outscored the Titans in the third quarter. The Scouts added 16 points to their score, and they held the Titans to 14. The third quarter helped the Scouts begin to close the 13-point scoring gap.

The Scouts really began to gain on the Titans in the fourth quarter, scoring 17 points and holding Thayer Central to 10. Although the Scouts were very close at the end, they fell short and lost 58-62.

“We got off to a really slow start,” Head Girls Basketball Coach Nathan Wall said. “However, we had a heck of a finish, and I am proud of our girls for making a game out of it.”

The boys played next, and the Scouts got an early lead. At the finish of the first quarter, the Scouts had an 18-8 lead. They continued that lead in the second quarter, scoring 13 points and allowing 12. At halftime, the Scouts had the Titans down 31-20.

Coming back from halftime, the Scouts let the Titans back into the game. The Scouts scored 10 points and allowed 17, only leading by four at the end of the third quarter.

However, the Scouts finished the game with their highest scoring period in the fourth quarter. The Scouts scored 25 points and held the Titans to 6. The Scouts added another win to their record, defeating Thayer Central 66-43.

“I thought our biggest strength was our composure and being able to bounce back after they went on a big run and closed our lead down to only four points entering the fourth quarter.  We didn’t seem rattled in the huddle in between quarters there, and it showed as we came out and quickly started to put the game away in the early minutes of the fourth,” Head Boys Basketball Coach Cole Carraher stated. “And our biggest strength throughout all four quarters was our ability to take care of the ball and find the open guy.  We had over 20 assists in the game which shows we played with great vision and decision making.”

The girls basketball team also played in the Southern Nebraska Conference Tournament on Mon., Jan. 29, suffering a 38-36 loss to Thayer Central.

The boys basketball team played in the SNC Conference Tournament, beating Superior 67-36 in the first round. In the second round, they faced Sutton and were defeated 71-51.

Both teams will play again in a home game on Mon., Feb. 5 against Yutan, with girls’ Varsity beginning at 6:00 p.m. and boys’ Varsity to follow.

• Scout basketball teams suffer losses and face success

11.09.18

NHS hosts annual Scare Away Hunger fundraiser

11.08.18

Zero-K: Hiding in plain sight

Halloween 2018

11.07.18

David City Volleyball places first out of four in DC Quad

Scout football seniors have “good year to finish on”

11.06.2018

FCCLA spreads awareness of domestic violence