January 2018 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Caden Denker is the son of Chad and Chantel Denker. He has one older brother, Clayton, and one younger brother, Cohen, making Caden the middle child. Caden is very much involved in school. Some of the activities he participates in include: football, wrestling, basketball, track, and FCA.  If Caden isn’t in a game or at an FCA meeting, you can most likely find him at a sports practice.

When Caden found out he made Student of the Month he was excited because he had recently injured his hand and couldn’t play sports for a over a month.

“But when I found out I was the Student of the Month it really lifted my spirits and motivated me to keep trying to be the best person I can be,” Caden said.  

Caden feels he was considered for Student of the Month because he is a good leader. He believes people look up to him so he tries his best to set a good example. Caden also feels he meets the expectations of a student of the month because he is a genuinely kind person, and he tries helping anyone and everyone.

• Did you make a New Year’s Resolution? If so, what is it? I did not make a New Year’s Resolution, but I live every day to the fullest.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2018? A new year brings a fresh start, so I’m looking forward to making lots of great memories with my family and friends.

Eighth grade: Emily Glodowski is the daughter of Missy and Daryl Glodowski of David City. She has two sisters, an older sister, Molly, and a younger sister, Hailey. Emily is involved in FCA, volleyball, basketball, and track. She spends most of her free time in the gym at sports practices or spending time at her house.

Upon receiving the news, Emily was excited and also thrilled that she was finally chosen. She thinks she was considered Student of the Month because she has been better at not talking in class and believes she accepts everyone and follows expectations.

• Did you make a New Year’s Resolution? If so, what is it? No.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Hanging out with friends and family.

Freshman: Lauren Vandenberg is the daughter of John and Linda Vandenberg of David City. She has three siblings, Nolan, Dana, and Colin. Lauren is involved in volleyball, basketball, track, FCA, and FFA here at school. Lauren’s free time is spent at extracurricular activities and sports practices.

When Lauren found out she was chosen as Student of the Month, she was happy and excited. She thinks she was considered as Student of the Month because she always works hard in class and tries to push others to do their best. Lauren feels like a leader inside and outside of the classroom because she offers help to anyone when they need it.

• Did you make a New Year’s Resolution? If so, what is it? To always look on the bright side of the darkest moments and to make everyone happy.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2018? I am definitely looking forward to summer and spending time with friends.

Sophomore: Jacson Valentine is the son of Ernie and Laurel Valentine of David City. Jacson is the second of five children. He has one older sibling, Morgen, and younger siblings Keetyn, Brittin, and Hayden–respectively. If he’s not at home with his family in his free time, he’s normally at wrestling. In addition to wrestling, he’s also involved in football, track, FFA, and FCA.

Jacson said that he was surprised when he found out he was Student of the Month because he doesn’t see himself as “Student of the Month material.” After some thought, however, he decided that he thinks he was considered Student of the Month because he works hard for his grades, and he’s willing to help others if they need it. Jacson also believes he is a good person because he is honest and caring. Another quality that he believes makes him a good person, and a leader in and out of the classroom, is integrity.

“I always try to do what’s right, even if it’s not the most popular choice,” Jacson stated.

• What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Getting to start over in the new year.

Junior: Ashley Roemmich is the daughter of Stephanie and Aaron Roemmich of David City. She is involved in many activities throughout the school including One-Act, Speech, NHS, Stu-Co, and band. Ashley feels she is a good person because she is nice to others as well as enthusiastic and funny. She feels she is a leader inside and outside of the classroom by pushing people to work hard and encouraging others to try their best.

When Ashley found out she was Student of the Month she was very surprised and happy. She feels she was considered Student of the Month because she is nice, works hard in class, and tries her best in all the activities she’s involved in. Whenever Ashley has free time, she is usually at Speech practice or spending time with her family.

• Did you make a New Year’s Resolution? If so, what is it? Yes, read five books.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Opportunities to grow and succeed in my activities.

Senior: Renee Backstrom is the daughter of Mike and Amy Backstrom of Bellwood. She currently keeps busy by participating in volleyball, basketball, Platinum Dance, cheer, Desiree’s Dancers,  NHS, Student Council, SCOOP, Quiz Bowl, FCA, FOR Club, and One-Act. In her free time, she likes to spend it with friends or at home.

Renee feels that she was selected as Student of the Month because she works hard in school and has a good time with it. She also feels like she is there for anyone who may need someone to talk to. When finding out she was Student of the Month, she jokes that her initial thought was, “Oh great what ugly picture are they going to use?”

• Did you make a New Year’s Resolution? If so, what is it? No, if I want to do something better I don’t need to wait for a new year, I am just going to do it when I want to.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Graduation, Summer 2K18, and going to college.
  • January 2018 Students of the Month

National Honor Society Induction 2019

• January 2018 Students of the Month

03.12.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

03.05.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

03.04.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

03.01.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

02.28.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

02.27.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

02.25.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

02.21.19

• January 2018 Students of the Month

02.19.19

January 2018 Students of the Month