Review: “Welcome to your tape.” and other things Thirteen Reasons Why has left in its path

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Allie Daro

Thirteen Reasons Why was released on Netflix over a month ago, yet people are still talking about the series. Whether it’s discussing their favorite characters, events that occur, or articles written about it on major sites such as the Washington Post or the New York Times, it seems like almost everyone has something to say about the series.

Almost as soon as the series was released, an outpouring of attention was spread across apps like Twitter, Instagram, iFunny, and more. Outcries for characters such as Hannah Baker (Katherine Langford) and Jeff Atkins (Brandon Larracuente) to be treated better can also be found on many fan pages. Another common post is the “Welcome to your tape.” meme.

Social media presence wasn’t the only thing the series left behind. A lot of differences between the book, written by Jay Asher, and the series also came to view, and many had to do with the point of view. In the book, everything revolves around Clay Jensen (Dylan Minnette), so his perspective is the only one the readers see, other than Hannah’s tapes, of course.

The series gives much more insight into other characters’ lives and expands on aspects of each character’s personalities that aren’t shown in the book. It also shows Hannah’s parents bringing a lawsuit against the school and trying to figure out why she killed herself.

Major parts that received a lot of attention because of the tapes also varied between the book and the series. The two major differences, without giving the whole story away, are a car accident caused by Hannah and a girl on the tapes and Hannah’s suicide.

The first to occur is the car accident. In the book, the car accident occurs when an elderly man is injured after colliding with a boy, who is dead at the scene, from their school who had supposedly been drinking. The series follows that but expands on it. The boy in the accident was a friend of Clay’s who appeared in earlier episodes when he helped Clay with his love life.

The other major difference is Hannah’s suicide. In the book, it’s only mentioned that she swallowed pills. Hannah’s death in the series is much more drawn out. It shows all the details, from her stealing razor blades from her parents’ store to her parents trying to save her.

Among all the additions the series made, another difference is the unanswered questions it left its audience with. Although the book had a few places more explanation would’ve been appreciated, the series left so much more to answer.

Season one put the audience through a rollercoaster of emotions. There were funny parts, disappointing parts, and many tear-wrenching parts. It also left its audience with lots of questions that will hopefully be answered with the release of the second Thirteen Reasons Why season in 2018.

• Review: “Welcome to your tape.” and other things Thirteen Reasons Why has left in its path

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

2016-17 School Year

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

05.17.2017

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

05.16.2017

Class of 2017 Graduation

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students